Scanning problem

Could some kind soul offer some help with a scanning problem I have please.

I want to scan a photograph and send it to MY PICTURES in Windows XP.

I scan the photograph and then automatically a programme called Photo Express opens up which would allow me to alter the photo (should I want to but I don't) or to do lots of clever stuff with it, but how do I simply get the photo from the scanner to MY PICTURES.

If anybody can help could it please be explained in very simple terms.

Thanks.

Weedon

Hi Weedon,

A couple of thoughts although I don’t have the particular programme you mention.

When you installed Photo Express you may have had the option to select where the programme stores pictures you edit with it.  I would imagine the default would be C:\ Documents and Settings \ (User name) \ My Documents \ My Pictures.  If this is the case then the pictures would be saved in “My pictures”.

Have you tried scanning and saving a picture without tweaking it?  Does it save in “My Pictures”?  If not, try saving a picture as, for example, “Test_picture” and then search for it in Windows Explorer.  (Right click on Start | Search… | (Change “look in” to C: )

You will then be able to see where pictures are saved and cut and paste the picture from wherever it is saved to “My Pictures”.

There may be an option within a tools / options menu within the Photo Express programme to change the save location.

My old cheap scanner (Colorado-cheap end of Texas Instruments) would only scan and save to file,which then had to be sent to printer.My one in the office-an HP-not particularly expensive-would send direct to printer even on Win 95.I think you gets what you pay for.Always ask before you buy!

Hi Weedon,

A couple of thoughts although I don’t have the particular programme you mention.

Thanks for your helpful reply on my scanner problem. I regret that I cannot see your name so cannot tell who you are from your posting.

Having now looked at the Packard Bell Diamond 1200 Plus programme details I had a look at SETTINGS and against SCAN TO it highlights PHOTO EXPRESS 3.

To change this default to MY PICTURES do I type in C:\Documents and Settings\(User name)\My Documents\My Pictures

When I first bought the PC and associated bits and pieces everything seemed to work OK and did so until I installed an update.  After that I had big problems using the scanner and where once I could drag a picture from one programme to another I had this ******* Photo Express thing opening up and filling the screen.

Incidently I have looked on the internet under Packard Bell etc. and there is lots of info about people having problems with this blessed scanner after, I think it said, a Windows Service Pack 2 update. 

I don't ever remember having trouble with my Box Brownie and cardboard box with my photos in it!

Weedon

Hi Weedon,

I believe Scan Express is a basic image editing programme bundled with many scanners.  Does Scan Express have a menu bar across the top? if so click on File - Save as, then select My Document - My Pictures as the folder to save in rename with a unique name then click save.  The image should now be saved in its raw state in the required folder.