Satellite TV (not skybox)

I have been watching the BBC channels, Sky news etc for a few years now but not on a skybox (digital satellite receiver bought here in France with non-sky-compatible card slots).  I have looked at various discussions on ITV (recently ITV4) etc and wonder whether I can get these too or is it just through a skybox ?  I can get BBC, Sky News, ITV News, ITV3 and a few other obscure things in English.  If I scan available channels things like Channel 4 and 5, ITV 1 and 2 come up but as protected by Videoguard. When will ITV 1 come up as uncrypted for me ?

Thanks

I get all BBC channels, all ITV channels and hundreds more channels through my French bought digital decoder and dish.

You will not get C4 or Five as they are still protected and you need a Sky box+basic card to decrypt them.

Rescan your decoder and you should be able to get these (provided your dish points in the right direction, which it seems to do as you already see BBC channels...)

Clair

Clair is right I think.  As far as I am aware, ITV on satellite is only transmitted via the Astra 2d satellite, and ITV1 is no longer encrypted by videoguard as it is now free-to-air.

If your reciever is not automatically picking up ITV1 as free-to-air you may be able to add it manually. You can find the settings below...

http://www.kingofsat.net/en/freqs.php?&b=40&sat=52&standard=All&ordre=freq&filtre=Clear

Another satellite (Eurobird 1) transmits from a position so close to Astra 2d that one dish will pick up both signals. The free-to-air channels it broadcasts can be found here...

http://www.kingofsat.net/en/freqs.php?&sat=57&standard=All&ordre=freq&filtre=Clear

Wow, I am so glad I asked the question !  I have sorted it all out and actually watched Coronation Street last night for the first time in ages !!!! How long have ITV 1 and 2 been available ?  Thanks so much for the info, all i need now are Channel 4 and 5 and it will be brilliant.

As a slight asside to this, last weekend I was in France and was pleased to find that the ITV 1 channels had all automatically updated on our non-UK system and were available to view.  All well and good - except that ITV London had no sound.  All the other were OK and frankly it's no great shakes but I am intrigued.  Anyone any ideas?