Sky box with no subscription - what channels will I get ?

I know that I'll get the usual BBC, ITV Sky News etc.  but will I get Channel 4 and 5 and Sky One ?

I'll have the blue card with yellow house on.  This box has been

in the UK unused for about 6 months, should I plug it in and "activate"

the card and box when still in the UK or can i do this when I come over

to France.  My Dad already has a box but is scared that I will

mess up his system and box if I plug mine in to see if it works. 

Is it likely that my dad will have problems getting his to work once we

have tested mine ?  He has loads of option channels (sport etc)

and of course doesn't want to lose them !

How much should I pay for a second hand box ?  Not sure what the going rate would be .... Thanks

The box will work fine in France and if the card is your ex-contract card it should enable you to get ch4 & 5 as well as all the FTA BBC & ITV channels. You won't get Sky1 without a subscriptionbut you should get Sky3 and Sky News.

If you've got a dish at home then take that with you too. A minidish will work fine in most areas of France providing it is set up carefully.

Tryng your card in your father's digibox shouldn't cause any problems but change the cards over whilst the box is switched off and unplugged. When you swap back again all your dad's sbscription channels will be restored.

To get an idea of the cost of second hand digiboxestake a lok on ebay uk. The Panasonic ones are the best and consequently usually go for a little more but in my opinion are worth paying a little extra for. 

[quote user="miaviv"]I know that I'll get the usual BBC, ITV Sky News etc.  but will I get Channel 4 and 5 and Sky One ?

I'll have the blue card with yellow house on.  This box has been

in the UK unused for about 6 months, should I plug it in and "activate"

the card and box when still in the UK or can i do this when I come over

to France.  My Dad already has a box but is scared that I will

mess up his system and box if I plug mine in to see if it works. 

Is it likely that my dad will have problems getting his to work once we

have tested mine ?  He has loads of option channels (sport etc)

and of course doesn't want to lose them !

How much should I pay for a second hand box ?  Not sure what the going rate would be .... Thanks

[/quote]

If you unplug you dad's box and temporarily connect yours to verify everything is OK then re-connect his there is no reason at all why it shouldn't work perfectly again.

p

Thanks for all your replies.  One more question, if I get the box,

plug it in successfully here in France, can my Dad use his own card

(from UK box) for which he subscribes to Sky Sport etc in my skybox

when he comes to visit ?  will he get his channels (including his

options) during his stay and will it bugger up anything for him when he

goes back to the UK afterwards ??? Thanks

His card in your box :

Best case - everything he has at home.

Worst case - you get a message saying 'you need to subscribe to this channel' when he puts his card in your box. 

Some premium channels are card+box specific; The Movies are, apparently, but I don't know about the Sports stuff.

If he unplugs his box from the mains before removing the card to bring to France, then puts it back in again before reconnecting the mains on his return, it won't even know the card has ever moved!

If your box displays any 'funnies' when its home card is plugged back in, I suggest disconnecting it from the mains then reconnecting without a card, then again with the card already inserted. Thus when the software starts from scratch and looks for the the channel/region settings it first finds nothing so goes to default settings, then the 'proper' date on its original card.

p

Sky have the facility to pair boxes and cards very closely if they care to use it (which they did back in summer 2003 when there was a complete card re-issue in progress) but at the moment - generally - a lot of the bog standard channels don't seem to mind a non-paired card being used; (I've just tried here and our FTV card can be swapped with our subscription card).

But as andyh4 says there is always the odd unexplained exception!

The only way to find out is to try.....

[quote user="andyh4"]Sky movies, documentaries but not sports etc.  but it was back in 2003 so it could be that Martin has the explanation and it was linked to the issue of the new cards.[/quote]

My betting is that Sky Movies is the deal breaker here. though as Martin said, Sky has the ability to pull more channels into the restrictive net at any time. And each new version of the software throws up new and exciting bugs when faced with a whole range of manufacturer's kit of a hugely varing age. The (continuing) miracle is that any of it works at all! (see adjacent thread re-disappearing EPG details).

p

My box here in France won't be connected to a phone line (obviously) so

does my Dad's card at home in Uk feed from his phone line to get sky

sports or is it independent ?  Will it work if he just brings it

here and sticks it into my skybox ?

Sky Sports should work fine.   All the telephone line does is to act as the billing system for when you order pay per view stuff,  gamble on line,  shop on line,  etc etc.  If you disconnect it you won't be able to do those things.   Everything else goes on working.

The card itself is turned off or deactivated via signals broadcast via the satellite.   Contrary to some of the myths one reads,  Uncle Ru has no way of telling where your box is if it isn't connected to a phone line!