Sat nav systems

My Garmin does that.

It came with detailed mapping for the whole of western europe, though I think that the very cheapest Garmin units only come with preloaded maps, which will only be one country. Mine is an older Streetpilot III. The Quest also has european mapping.

I think that the Tom Tom again only has mapping for one country.

[quote user="Brilec"]

I think that the Tom Tom again only has mapping for one country.

[/quote]

Not quite. I bought a Tom Tom go 700 from Luton Airport last year, for use in France. It is brilliant.

It comes preloaded with Europe down to street level. The amazing thing is it even has the names of individual farms in rural France, which is so useful as most of the places I go to are out in the country.

Paul

[quote user="Punch"]Not quite. I bought a Tom Tom go 700 from Luton Airport last year, for use in France. It is brilliant.

It comes preloaded with Europe down to street level. The amazing thing is it even has the names of individual farms in rural France, which is so useful as most of the places I go to are out in the country.

Paul

[/quote]

Sorry, my information was wrong then. I read that on another forum.

The Garmin mapping also has individual farms and hamlets listed.

[quote user="Uncle Homer"]

Can anybody recomend a good portable SatNav system that works well here and in U.K

thankyou Grant

[/quote]

Bought hubby a Navman icn 550 for christmas which we used on last visit over, he rave's about it. Cost quite a bit don't know how it compares price wise to other's. All I can say it's very small and easily transferred to other vehicles, should he let it[;)]

Regards

Grant,

There was a thread about Sat Nav this time last year – you might want to have a look at http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/572384/ShowPost.aspx

Prices have come down about 25% since last year and there are more brands to choose from which is helping to drive prices down.

Most Sat Navs are only supplied with the street level map SD card for the country in which you buy the unit.  If you want the street level maps for another country you have to buy another card for around £70.

I’ve been using TomTom for about 2 years and found it to be very easy to use.  I’ve also tried a Navman iCN 635 and find the TomTom user interface easier to use although I prefer the styling of Navman.

I’d suggest you have a look at the TomTom Go 700, this now sells for about £400 and gives you street level mapping of all of Europe on a built-in hard drive.  The 700 would be better value than a 300 or 500 with an extra map.  The unit also doubles as a Bluetooth handsfree car kit.  More information - http://www.tomtom.com/index.php?Language=1

I bought a TomTom Go500 in November in advance of a trip to Majorca for Christmas.  I bought it because I find Barcelona a bitch (female dog) to find the ferry port and even more so getting out of the city. 

I asked Tom to take me the quickest route in both directions.  Strangely it brought me back a longer and slower route to Mayenne than it did to get me to Barcelona.  Very amusingly? Tom thought I would appreciate an hours tour of the city centre before leading me out to the autoroute.  And I chose the man to read out the instructions thinking the women wouldn't be able to do it properly. "If at first you don't succeed ask a women next time"

It doesn't recognise Wimbledon or Putney when I type in the names although if you zone in on the map they are there, and it doesn't show some of the "B" roads around the village where my son lives.

At  €649 I am a little disappointed.  It does get me to the supermarket and back though along the same roads I would normally go.

weedon