Going Mobile again!

After eight months sans-mobile I now need one.  I've still got a phone from the UK, but require a chip (is that a pouce?) that will work as PAYG and work in the UK when I visit.  My husband picked up a UK Virgin chip PAYG and works in France, in emergencies.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to which shops  I could go to, or what the choice is?

Thank you,

M

From what everybody says, PAYG in France is a bit expensive for people who rarely use their telephone as you seem to lose your credit after a short’ish time (certainly for some the duration of a “top-up” depends on how much it is for). Run out of money and you will lose the number (from what I’ve read).

People say the NRJ PAYG is the only one at the moment that does not have this expiry with top-ups. With NRJ you can also select the last part of your number (obviously provided it is not already in use). NRJ cards have more limited distribution that the other main providers (Carrefour sells them – check on the NRJ web site for other places).

I recently got a mobile and SIM and ended-up going for the Orange Initial. Its 7€ a month “sans-engagement”. Calls are pricey (but less that e.g. NRJ PAYG). For me (as I hardly ever use the phone to make calls), its useful as I don’t have to worry about topping-up (as calls are billed monthly) and you always keep your number (no top-ups to expire) SFR do a similar offer but not quite so good in details (e.g. caller number presentation costs extra and a few things like that). Also, for me the Orange network provides by far the best coverage indoors where I live (NRJ is said to run over the SFR network).

It is thought Virgin may be entering the market in France soon (but how long “soon” is nobody knows).

You will need to ensure your existing mobile phone is not locked to your existing network (and if it is to get it unlocked).

Ian

Hi, if you are based in North West france then Breizh is a good option .. think the site is www.breizh.com or .fr pay as you go vouchers last for 2 months and can be ordered from their website, then they text you the number. As mentioned NJR seems good too.

If you need a a phone for both UK and France have you thought about the Carphone warehouse, they do their own sim card "fresh", you set up your bank account details and it's automatically deducted once a month, upto £30 .. then you can swop your sim over depending on which country you are in .. if you don't use it you don't pay anything, calls are reasonable too, though obviously not when you are in France!

Steph

www.pwb53.com

If you use a UK phone card in France, you pay an arm and a leg to receive calls, as well as paying a lot (much more than the french ones) to make any call, either in france or back to the UK.

It is called a Carte SIM in France.

For a low user I am sure the NRJ is the current best buy, as you only need to make one chargable call every 6 months to keep the line, but with all the other PAYG cards, you only get one or two months to use the credit, and if you don't top up within usually 6 months, you lose the line.

Brilliant.  Thanks for all your help.  I also asked the kids at school today, but they couldn't quite get their heads around the fact I had a phone and was prepared not to use it!

I also checked with Manx Telecom, my previous provider, and they never lock their sim cards - so I might be lucky.

Now, just to find out about NRJ, And I might contact Car Phone Warehouse

Thanks again.

Margaret