Panasonic Digibox repair possible ?

I bought a second hand Panasonic TU-DSB30 last year without being able

to test it in the UK beforehand although was assured it worked. 

It had card with house on etc.  I plugged it in here in France

(already have a Free to Air system aligned to required satellite) and

it worked for 30 seconds - got Channel Five and before I could shout

"hooray" it completely died !  I can't get anything on the machine

now, just the red light to say that the power is on but that is it.....

I have been offered another second hand digibox - the same make and

model as previously and I'm dubious about making the same mistake.....

I have a few questions...1) could this box have not worked because Sky

detected something dodgy about the card etc and frazzled it ? 2) Would

this box work in the Uk and perhaps not here in France ? 

I live near Toulouse and wondered if anyone knows a place were I might

possibly get it repaired if this is indeed possible.  Thanks in

advance

No it's nothing Sky did. A working digibox will be able to receive BBC and many other channels (though not channel 4 or five) even without a card. Apart from the licensing question, a digibox will work anywhere where there is a good enough signal available, which includes France as well as UK. As long as the box is not connected to a phone line Sky will not be able to tell where it is.

Unless you can find somebody who knows specifically about Sky digiboxes I think the chances of getting it repaired locally are pretty slim. The www.satcure.co.uk site has a lot of information about the various boxes, including troubleshooting and repair details.

I had a similar problem with a panasonic box and they are not worth repairing. 

Satcare says "We have received lots of reports from TU-DSB30 owners about "freezes" and "crashes". These faults seem to be worse in areas of poor signal outside the UK. It seems possible that a software fault is the cause but nobody seems certain. Consequently, we recommend that TU-DSB30 owners buy a different model and don't waste time or money on repairs."

For more details look at: http://www.satcure.co.uk/panasonic.htm

Baz

This year I have had problems with two Panasonic DSB30 boxes, both began locking up and eventually failing with psu problems, both were five years old.

I was advised against having them repaired and have purchased two Pace boxes, one for UK and one for France.

You also need a Sky digibox if you want to watch channel 4 or five, as you can't receive them via the boxes available in France. I agree too about the Sky EPG which we find invaluable. We also use the BBC interactive text a lot, which I have been told is not available via French satellite receivers, but I don't necessarily believe that - can anybody confirm it?

Will

our German digital box cannot do the interactive things because the button controls are programmed to do different things - red button for example pulls up your personalised menu.  I could imagine that the French boxes are similar (or indeed identical)

[quote user="Will "]You also need a Sky digibox if you want to watch channel 4 or five, as you can't receive them via the boxes available in France. I agree too about the Sky EPG which we find invaluable. We also use the BBC interactive text a lot, which I have been told is not available via French satellite receivers, but I don't necessarily believe that - can anybody confirm it?[/quote]

Will  You cannot access BBC interactive or ITV interactive in the same way on  French box as on a Sky box by the red button, you can however get the broadcasts, they show up as streams BBC stream 1, 2 etc.  When there is an interactive broadcast you can also get the multiscreen but you have to select the right stream ( channel)  to watch a particular screen, you cannot access it from the multiscreen, its not anything as easy as a SKy box but it is possible. I have not yet found a way to access the BBC i  text service on a French box.

The other thing with French boxes is that you cannot get the full range of UK FTA channels,  ITV 2 and SKY 3 are blank screens and say that they are scrambled even though they are not, so they may be linked to the Sky system or card still in some way.

Mia

It would be helpful to know how you got ITV 2.  Did you get it by doing a satellite scan or did you do it manually.

I can get ITV 3 but not ITV 2.or Sky 3, can you get Sky 3?

What does ITV 2 show up as on the French channel listing, given that ITV 3 was originally channel 1054[:)]

Ron, I got ITV 2 at the same time as the other ITV channels came

available for free.  I was actually on this forum one morning and

somebody had mentioned that they are now available, as they weren't

coming through automatically I just did another scan for the available

channels and ended up with them all.  I wouldn't actually know how

to do it manually !! To be honest, you aren't missing out on much, it

is just repeats on there from ITV1, I don't watch it much.