I have had my computer for a couple of years, bought secondhand in the UK. A couple of weeks ago a message suddenly appeared when I switched on saying it is not running a genuine copy of Windows and telling me what to do to fix it (spending money of course![:(])

I am quite happy with what I have, so can I leave things alone and is it possible to get rid of this message as it appears every time I turn on?

P.S. I also suspect my monitor is going as it changes to a yellowish colour every so often - would my guess be right?[:@]

Mary,

You should have a sticker on the casing of your PC or Windows instructions / CD with a “Product Key” number – this is your proof that you have a legitimate copy of Windows.

You say you’ve been using the PC [without problem] for a couple of years.  It may be Spyware that is causing this.  The message you get inviting you to spend money – who is it from?  Who is asking for your money?  If it’s not from Microsoft, it’s clearly a scam.  If it looks like it might be Microsoft it could still be a scammer in disguise.

If you don’t already have them, I suggest you download and run anti-Spyware detection software like Spybot and Adaware and also delete all Cookies from your PC (Internet Explorer - Tools / Internet Options).

Has Windows been automatically checking for updates over the last couple of years?  If it was unhappy about the authenticity of your copy of Windows it should have complained sooner.  After running anti-Spyware software I suggest you go to the Windows update site http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/  and download whatever updates it prompts you to take.

Re your monitor problem, I think most likely the monitor is at fault although remote possibility of the video card in the PC.  Does switching the monitor off / on or a “gentle” thump on the casing fix the problem?  If so, it’s time for a new monitor.

Windows has done a recent security update and at the same time the down load checked the license for the operating system being used.  Your copy of Windows may be illegal and if it is will not be supported or allow further downloads although strangely they will allow security upgrades.

"From now on, customers looking to get the latest add-ons to Windows will have to verify that their copy of the operating system is legit.

Beginning Tuesday, the piracy check will be mandatory for all customers worldwide who want to download add-ons for Windows XP.  The only exception is for security-related patches. Regardless of whether a system passes the test, security updates will be available to all Windows users via either manual download or automatic update. The Microsoft Update and Windows Update utilities, which provide notifications of new patches, will require validation.

It's all part of Windows Genuine Advantage, a stepped-up effort by Microsoft to increase the number of Windows users that are actually paying Microsoft for its software. Currently, the company estimates that roughly a third of Windows copies worldwide are not legitimate"

Can you say how old your second-hand kit is, and what version of Windows you are running?

Monitor, check as advised, and check both the power lead and signal lead. Sometimes they work loose and you may just have a loose connection.

Spyware can throw up all sorts of wobblers and error messages, designed to get you to part with cash by clicking on the link. Download something like Xoftspy (anti-spyware/malware), and also make sure you've got reliable anti-virus running. Rather than pay through the nose for Norton/Symantec, AVG is free from grisoft.com and is highly rated.

Hope that helps.

Hi,

If you are using Windows xp you will now have an icon in your system tray (bottom right of screen near the clock) that looks like a star, right click on it, select 'Change notification settings' this will take you to Microsofts webpage.  Expand the 'Windows Genuine Notification Options'  untick the box alongside 'Display Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications messages' click on 'Save settings' and windows will stop telling you your version is not genuine. 

You must set your automatic updates to 'ON' - Control Panel - Security Centre- Automatic Updates.

this is some kind of scam we had the same thing on our computer a few weeks ago, we rang (not the number on the message ) but the number on the windows box because it wasnt illegal and we knew it. they told us what to do and it went away but you do need the regisration numbers to do this. I expect a lot of people are buying computers with them already on so dont know if they are illegal or not , so its there way of making money out of you. I dont know alot about it as hubby sorted it but we didnt have to pay to sort it 

Thanks to everyone for the help and advice. I am running Windows XP, and when I bought the computer everything was already loaded (as it was secondhand) so I don't have any disks or registration number. I have Norton Antivirus and got rid of Spyware on advice from someone. All I want to do is get rid of the very annoying message (that looks very genuine) when I switch on, so will follow the advice for that.

Re. the monitor - I will check the leads (another crawl under the desk!) but I am wondering if it is on it's way out [:(][:(]. Perhaps I can get a flat screen as an early Christmas present[:)]