France Telecom

I'm interested in the €29.99 deal from free.fr, but I suspect as I can only get 2mb where I am that will restrict some of the services I can use.  Does the TV bit work on such a slow speed or do you need the adsl2+ at full 28mb?

Simon

[quote user="Simon"]I'm interested in the €29.99 deal from free.fr, but I suspect as I can only get 2mb where I am that will restrict some of the services I can use.  Does the TV bit work on such a slow speed or do you need the adsl2+ at full 28mb?

Simon

[/quote]

Ha! count yourself lucky:  622.4kbps is all we can get at the far end of this piece of wet string. That doesn't seem to stop FT from ringing me up at every bar's end to offer me TV services via the internet.You really would think that they, of all people, would know what speed their potential clients would have available. At 622 I imagine the picture quality would be just about comparable with Baird's 30-line mechanical system from 1926!

p

How do you get such accurate measurements of signal strength?

When I hover over my Wireless Network Connection icon I see ever changing speeds ranging from 6 Mbps to 48 Mbps. I'm almost 2 kms from the exchange.

Non technical answers on a postcard please

Benjamin

This site will give you a reading on max. debit for uploads and downloads on your line.  Your wi-fi modem, among other things, may affect the actual debits, hence the fluctuations at a given instant.

DegroupTest.com

Note this site is mainly concerned with assessing your eligibility for degroupage, the debit speed measurement is a side benefit.

If you want to see all the offers available to you, this site is better but does not measure your line speed:

ADSL eligibility