English Dell Computer, problems with Internet connection.

Hi,

We live in France and have had an English Dell computer connected to Wanadoo as a server for the last 2 years, with a Sagem F@st 800 USB modem. Yesterday we took delivery of a new English Dell computer (as we wanted the programs in English), but it says the modem is not compatible with the new computer and we don't know why. We have tried the Wanadoo. assistance phone line and we keep having long waits for someone to speak and then get cut off!

Would like to know if there is anyone in the Dol de Bretagne, Combourg area who has knowledge of sorting out the server here in France and helping us get connected to the server with the new computer? Or if anyone knows of somebody in this area who could help. We are using our old computer in the meanwhile! If anyone has any ideas we would be very grateful.

Thanks Ann 33

Thank you for your reply. We are not 100% computer literate,so not sure what you mean. the old computer is aDell Dimension 4100, which is connecting to Wanadoo with a Extense Haut Debit ADSL Version 6.3.1 Sagem F@st 800 USB modem. The new computer is a Dell Dimension 3100c.

The problem is the new computer won't let us install the connexion kit. as does not mention the Sagem F@st  modem . It says " The installshield engine (internel.exe) could not be launched. No suchinterface supported." We have in the meantime connected the old computer and we have a connection. Uncertain what to do. Will try the Dell support helpline on Monday here in France, but not sure if they can give advice about the server. Thank you for trying to help.

Ann 33

Have you installed the drivers for the Sagem.

Its hard to say exactly what needs doing, but try soemthing like Control Panel, Add New Hardware, Search for Hardware. Have disc Then  insert the disc that came with the Sagem and browse down the tree that leeds to drivers.

Alternatively you could download the drivers from

http://www.touslesdrivers.com/index.php?v_page=23&v_code=9813

or possibly even better, from the horses mouth ie the latest version! Click UK,ADSL, select product,  drivers and you will even get it in English!

http://www.sagem.com/support/site/sagem_carte.php

[quote user="Ann33"]

Hi,

We live in France and have had an English Dell computer connected to Wanadoo as a server for the last 2 years, with a Sagem F@st 800 USB modem. Yesterday we took delivery of a new English Dell computer (as we wanted the programs in English), but it says the modem is not compatible with the new computer and we don't know why. We have tried the Wanadoo. assistance phone line and we keep having long waits for someone to speak and then get cut off!

Would like to know if there is anyone in the Dol de Bretagne, Combourg area who has knowledge of sorting out the server here in France and helping us get connected to the server with the new computer? Or if anyone knows of somebody in this area who could help. We are using our old computer in the meanwhile! If anyone has any ideas we would be very grateful.

Thanks Ann 33

[/quote]

Hi, Ann, I get exactly the same error message with the same modem and my US laptop. I know this will sound like a strange question, but (despite the error message) are you sure the computer will not connect?

In my case, I can just click "okay" on the error message, wait a few seconds until the modem connects (the lights will blink) and then I click on the icon for internet connection, tell it to connect and it does.  This has been the case even when I was using the Wanadoo/Orange software and didn't change after I dumped the software and just started connecting through Internet Explorer 6 (my OS is Win XP, by the way). 

Having found the Wanadoo/Orange service techs to be less than useful in the past, I did contact the Sagem people to see if there was a new driver for that modem.  There is, and they sent me the link for it, along with the suggestion to go into my registry and dump any bits and pieces of the Wanadoo/Orange software that might still be lurking there.  I haven't bothered doing this yet, but it might be something you want to try.  Unfortunately, it does require an internet connection.

Here's the part of Sagem's response that refers to the driver (if you want the registry info, I can post that, too):

"You can download the latest versions of the driver of the fast 800 on  the
http://www.sagem.com/support
select ADSL
 then FAST 800/840
Drivers /softwares
W.3.0.4b for Windows"

And, by the way, I haven't a clue as to where your area is, but in ours, today has been a terrible day for Orange ADSL.  Couldn't connect at all for about half and hour and lots of disconnects.  It's been working perfectly for the past week or so, haven't any idea what is wrong today.

Good luck!