INTERNET CONNECTION

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I don't sem to be able to get a straight [and simple] answer to my question, which is this: what hardware do I need to connect my computer to an ADSL line either with a wired connection or a wifi connection. Sorry if this seems very basic - please excuse my ignorance.

Patrick

The modem usually plugs into your ethernet connection on your computer - looks like a phone socket.  An alternative, but less satisfactory method, is to connect it to a spare USB port.  You may get two different leads with the modem allowing you to connect in either of these methods.

The other lead from the modem goes to your FT socket.  Usually there will be a combined plug/filter on the end of the lead that goes from the modem into the phone socket allowing you to plug a phone in there as well.

If you want my twopence, I would spend a few extra quid and buy a router instead of the modem.  You will get a more reliable connection, less to do in way of installation, the ability to plug in more than one computer, many are wireless, less issues with viruses and spam.  It also means when you upgrade your pc you can plug the new one straight into the router without having to re-install anything.

Regards

Simon

Thanks everybody - I'm a lot clearer - I will print some of this off. I still have one or two questions. So a wireless router would do the same job as a modem - is that right? If I got one would I still ned the filters? What is ethernet?

Patrick

The router will be a modem as well (make sure that it is) .. the modem will connect to the adsl line, and the router will 'route' it, either wirelessly, or by wire (ethernet cable ) or both. Steer clear of things like the 'livebox' which try to take over your life .. netgear are current favourites. you will need phone filters for each phone.