ADSL 101 anyone?

Sorry, basic 101 question...

I am using XP2 and connecting via ethernet for now, then wifi when the card arrives...

Now that I have ADSL, should I leave the line connected all the time?

I usually disconnect but have to go through a diagnostic on reconnection, as Neuf seems to think there is a fault with the connection (there isn't and it all connects without any problem).

Am I wrong to disconnect? (I do have an updated firewall and antivirus software)

Should I tweak the network setting on XP and if so, how?

Should I just leave it alone?

Hope this makes sense and someone knows what I'm talking about (I barely do myself...[8-)]!)

Thanks in advance.

I leave the Modem/router connected and turned on all the time. There should be no problem with that. One PC, connected via ethernet, is turned on 24/7 with a firewall. The other PCs are turned off at night as they are in places where the lights would annoy me.

Yes leave it on all the time EXCEPT

Disconnect the wi-fi modem from the telephone socket when you have a storm or heat lightning around, a near miss or strike on your phone line will not do your PC or modem any good at all.  Although surge protection will help prevent a problem with the modem's power supply Orange recommend that you disconnect the modem from the power supply if it is a live box wi-fi type modem.  it is not a problem to reconnect the ADSL,  your PC should find the wireless network and connect back in automatically when you re-connect after the storm has passed.

[quote user="Bob T"]The phone line to my house is fused so I have never disconnected and have never had a problem with storms in two years.
[/quote]

Don't rely on a fuse to protect you.  A power surge spike is MUCH faster than the fuse could blow and anyway, its not the current that's the killer but the massive voltage increase

I agree with Jane & Danny about switching off PC when not in use, but not the modem (it was the modem I was referring  to in my first post - sorry, I had to dash off).  Plus if you have ADSL with telephony you'll be switching off your phone.

[quote user="Cassis"]I agree with Jane & Danny about switching off PC when not in use, but not the modem (it was the modem I was referring  to in my first post - sorry, I had to dash off).  Plus if you have ADSL with telephony you'll be switching off your phone.[/quote]

Just to clarify:

I have left the router connected all the time, as I would indeed loose the tel connection. I will only disconnect it when thunder is coming my way... and I can hear it coming NOW!!! [:'(]

Edit: I have now re-routed the router (?!) through the Belkin surgemaster and all is working well... Thunderstorm still around in the distance...

My question was about the laptop connection itself (right-click;

disconnect on the taskbar icon
). When I disconnect then reconnect

later, a Neuf diagnostic box appears as well as another asking me to

confirm reconnection of my "connexion réseau local", (specifically a Realtek local network connection).

I think I'll leave it on and just switch the laptop off in the evenings... [blink]

I normally switch off the modem at night too. It reboots no problem and everything finds each other by wifi. This means that we have no telephonie via the modem at night but we have another phone attached to another socket so receiving calls is no problem. Now if we were in a done degroupée, I might do different...

Danny