ADSL at last!

Having encountered horrendous connection problems, having been an unwitting ping-pong ball between France Telecom and [6]Tiscali over the last few months and having come across [6]Tiscali's rude, hopeless and useless so-called "customer care", I gave them the required 2-month-2-finger notice and signed up with Neuf...

Frying-pan and fire (or the French equivalent!) said my sister when I told her, Neuf fight it out with Free for worse supplier in most consumer reports...

Well...

They were prompt to send me the box, login and password, longer to connect me (1 calendar month in total) and between FT cutting me off and and Neuf connecting me, I had no telephone line for 5 days, but we got there and I am glad it's all done.

It was simple to set up and (almost) painless.

It's costing €35 a month for
ADSL non-dégroupé with unlimited landline tel calls all over Europe. There's no commitment, just a €45 exit fee... I never used to call anywhere before but I will now!!

Compared to my [6]Alice connections over the last few months, this is BLISS and long may it last![:D]

No chance of broadband here until about the next century. So, have just signed up with a satellite company (not part of Murdoch's empire) for 9.99 euros a month. Deal includes free sat dish and all the other hardware and software necessary to connect. Several friends have used this for a while and are all delighted with it. Yes, we can only download on broadband but that is a vast improvement over what we have now.

Degroupage is where you take both your phone line and internet from one company. Hence no bill from France Telecom.

In the past this was only available in the big cities where the internet company thought it worthwhile to install their own racks of equipment in FT's exchanges. If this wasn't worthwhile they used a simpler system where you rented the line from FT and some simpler equipment in the exchange sorted things out.

If that was too simple for you, things have now become even more vomplex in that Neuf have introduced a kind of degroupage which is available virtually anywhere, but now  where they pay FT to handle the things in the exchange and you no longer need to rent from FT. Hence one bill.

Its a bit dearer than the original Degroupage, but is still cheaper than having two bills.

The disadvantage is that the only phone you have is the one attached to the Neufbox, and it won't work if there is a power cut.

[quote user="pigeonnier"]No chance of broadband here until about the next century. So, have just signed up with a satellite company (not part of Murdoch's empire) for 9.99 euros a month. [/quote]

Which company? I'm in a similar position (or location) to you in that when we ask FT when we can have broadband they just laugh.[:@]

Hi Pigeonnier,

Would you mind elaborating on your satellite service, as I am in the same position as you with a really poor dial-up connection & at 8.6km from the exchange, no broadband in sight.

Who are you with?, what do you get?, does it work well?, what sort of upload/download speed & data limits are you getting?.

Please I am not a techy, but previously understood that satellite internet connections were meant to be expensive etc - Pls point me in the direction that you are following it its good...

Many thanks,

Mark

[quote user="pigeonnier"]No chance of broadband here until about the next century. So, have just signed up with a satellite company (not part of Murdoch's empire) for 9.99 euros a month. Deal includes free sat dish and all the other hardware and software necessary to connect. Several friends have used this for a while and are all delighted with it. Yes, we can only download on broadband but that is a vast improvement over what we have now.

[/quote]

What is the name of the company that provides your satellite internet.

Thanks

The website is:

www.teles-skydsl.fr

Nothing to do with Mr Murdoch and his merry band, thankfully. Site has an English language option and is fairly comprehensive as to how it works etc etc.

A current ISP is needed as satellite ADSL is only download, it is not yet possible to upload to this one but, if like me, you don't often upload large files than that is not a problem.

Current offer is for a ready to run package, includes sat dish, decoder box, 10m aerial cable, USB cable and all requisite software. Just a case of install and align dish (software helps in alignment), register online and away you go! Cost for this package is 9.99 euros per month, minimum one year contract but a get out can be had for six months payment. Only extra is delivery which is about 30 euros.

HTH

Bob

If you get to the page where they show Degroupage Total at 29.9 Euros , down to the right there is mention of

Nos Offres ADSL en Zone non Degroupee.

http://offres.neuf.fr/offres/internet/Nos-offres-ADSL/ADSL-en-zone-non-degroupee.html 

(Don't know whether that link will work).

Which should take you to 100% Neufbox which offers a package including line, calls plus ADSL

Thanks for that.

I had actually got as far as the 34.90€ offer and had read

L'essential

Cette offre, disponible sur les zones dégroupée par Neuf........

whilst completely missing the line above in red  which says En zone non dégroupée

I think my head is starting to hurt now!

Benjamin

Sorry this is a late arrival, but I have only just found it.

I have just been looking at the Neuf site and after putting my number in it tells me that 512 is available. At the moment we have 1 meg via Wanadoo? Also on the second page it states about have free calls to France and 32 different countries, but when you get further the 32 countries vanish and there is only France? Has anyone else found this or am I going off my trolley? Bit like French road signes really, now you see it, now you don't!

We tend to get a few power cuts here and if the only phone is through the router it would put it out of the question for us. We have a cordless phone that won't work in the cuts so we just plug in a hard wired one, no problems...