T V in France

Does anyone know the legal position in France for following:

We will have an english T V in France which will be attached to a DVD player. There is no aerial on the house or on the TV.

The T V will be unable to receive french (or english) T V channels. Do we need a licence ?

If you really are only going to watch DVDs and don't want to be liable for a French TV licence then either :

1/ Get a TV technician to take the tuner out,

or

2/ Buy a computer monitor with an RGB or video input.

A 'TV' being a device having the theoretical potential for receiving off-air television signals.

I suspect you would eventually win a very long and very expensive legal battle claiming that since a UK TV can't receive French TV signals, then you shouldn't be liable to pay the French licence. But honestly, could you really be bothered?

p

I  suspect you would eventually win a very long and very expensive legal battle

It is unlikely that there would be a battle. The Government's tax websites say that you pay for TVs or similar equipment containing a tuner. Closed circuit TV systems etc are excluded.

You don't pay for 

.............. les téléviseurs détenus pour la réception de signaux autres que ceux émis par les chaînes de télévision...........

Now that doesn't cover sets that aren't used to watch TV, but if it ain't capable of watching TV...........

[quote user="BJSLIV"]

I  suspect you would eventually win a very long and very expensive legal battle

It is unlikely that there would be a battle. The Government's tax websites say that you pay for TVs or similar equipment containing a tuner. Closed circuit TV systems etc are excluded.

You don't pay for 

.............. les téléviseurs détenus pour la réception de signaux autres que ceux émis par les chaînes de télévision...........

Now that doesn't cover sets that aren't used to watch TV, but if it ain't capable of watching TV...........

[/quote]

Yes, but my 'A.P.Herbert-esque' contention was that the French regulations (as far as I'm aware) make the assumption that all tvs are capable of receiving the off-air signals, whereas the claim would be that a UK TV doesn't.....    Just a flight of fancy....    a la Albert Haddock , appearing before Mr Justice Swallow.... pay no attention.

p

Some modern TVs do have tuners that are multistandard - thus, the manufacturer does not have to bother making different TV sets for different countries.

However, you can buy a device that will translate the Secam signal so that a PAL set can be used.

Paul

Sorry to go a bit off thread, but.after searching various posts about this problem of license's we received our tax foncier today with the adiuovisual bill and reading another post, we seem to have missed the question about having a TV on last years bill. however as the other half has taken the letter away to check on paying last year, my question is this, as we have not got a TV how do we get them to dismiss this bill? I will be going over next week and will pay the foncier at the tressor, but with my French class being stopped to make way for polish and arab  speaking classes I am a bit unsure of what to say. Any help out there?

Thanks