I want just ADSL, no tv, no telephone. who is the best ISP? and VCI VPI settings

I've got a Netgear ADSL router so I just want a simple ADSL abonnement.

But wading through all the sites it seems hard to avoid the TV service.

I do not have a TV and therefore do not pay TV licence, however if I

got a modem with TV then surely they will want to tax me for having

receiving equipment.

I use skype with all my pals so no need for isp telephone modem.

By the way if anyone is configuring their ADSL router bought in the UK then the following settings differ from UK,

in France

VPI 8

VCI 35

In UK it was VPI 0 and VCI 38

I’d suggest looking back over the preceding threads.  At the moment this question is asked (and

answered) every few days.  I think you

will probably find the answers you are looking for in threads over the lat

month or so (particularly as the search facility works much better on this

version of the forum software)

Most UK ADSL Modems are “Worldwide” (does depend on the firmware

and there are a few exceptions) and most will automatically adopt the settings –

mine did once the firmware was correct). 

Some modems express the settings as 8.35 rather than separate values.

Ian

Don't know if this helps but we signed on for ADSL with Wanadoo last thursday who immediately switched off the current wanadoo internet connection - our new line started last night after being warned there was a 7-day waiting list for ADSL in this area. I had to buy a new modem for 1€ which sits on the desk and nothing else, we did not want any other telephone connections or TV connections, just the simplest and cheapest system available which still now works out to what we were previously paying at 25€/month with first three months at 20€.

[quote user="Val_2"]Don't know if this helps but we signed on for ADSL with Wanadoo last thursday who immediately switched off the current wanadoo internet connection - our new line started last night after being warned there was a 7-day waiting list for ADSL in this area. I had to buy a new modem for 1€ which sits on the desk and nothing else, we did not want any other telephone connections or TV connections, just the simplest and cheapest system available which still now works out to what we were previously paying at 25€/month with first three months at 20€.[/quote]

Val

Did the modem come from Wanadoo?

What model is it and are you using USB or Ethernet to connect to your computer.

I am on Wanadoo dialup at present and moving to a new address shortly. We will then cancel our dialup and change to ADSL. Like you we just require a simple good performance ADSL connection with no fancy stuff.

Yes. It is a little blue SAGEM box with green lights to indicate when the system is on etc and you pay there and then one euro only and it belongs to you when you go to the FT office to change over the contract etc. We were warned about a possible 7 day wait round this region but it came on last night. We are USB connected. We didn't go for Livebox at 3€ per month rental because we didn't want an ugly box sitting around. This one is about 4 inches square.

[quote user="bigjimbishop"]I just want a simple ADSL abonnement.

But wading through all the sites it seems hard to avoid the TV service.[/quote]

I think that a combination of:

http://www.degrouptest.com/

and

http://www.comparatel.fr/news/dnews_id-5744_t-Debitel,offre,gratuitement,la,carte,SIM,a,ses,nouveaux,abonnes.htm

maybe also

http://www.comparanet.net/services/internet/

and

http://www.maconnexion.com/comparatif_offre_internet_adsl.php

will give you your answer

NB. Neitherof the first two (which I have used) is infallible and note

that degrouptest is much more than a line tester (having checked the

number, it gives you a lot of info in the next screen - possible

choices other than FT/wanadoo).

• 9 months later...

Hi,

We wanted a no frills ADSL connection, mainly because we are in a fringe area, and we have free-to-air SKY anyway. We were quoted 24.95 euros per month from wanadoo, and after a few weeks we went back and said a friend was getting the same service for 19.95 euros, so they changed it immediatly, its been like that for over a year now. We had serious problems when orange took over with popups and ads, we reinstalled both XP,and Norton antivirus / firewall, and have had no further problems.

Barry and Patricia