ADSL dropping off line

For nearly a year now sometimes when I go to use the computer (after leaving the ADSL connection on line) I find that it has to be "reconnected" - I am with Wanapoo/Orange.

For the first time today I was on the computer when the phone rang, when I returned after taking the call it had disconnected.

So I have found the cause but don't know hat to do next.

The computer is on a dedicated socket not shared with other phones, all other phones have an ADSL filter

Can anyone help?

Wanadoo/Orange drop the connection every 24 hours. Check you logs (on the modem) and you will find that it is 24 hours almost to the second. Its it the connection to Orange that is dropped not the ADSL link. Thus reconnection is virtually immediate. However, you will almost certainly re-connect with a different IP address. This can upset some software that keeps connections open and is not great at re-connecting. for example, ongoing connections to GoogleTalk can fail to re-establish (how often depends on the client).

Ian

Simon: Filters are in and appear to be working, I thought that they only fitered out the high frequency noises from the telephone earpeice (high pass filter?) so not sure how they would affect the connection.

Deimos: I am a computer illiterate! you will need to explain to me (very simply!) what to check.

It is the ADSL connection that is broken, I have to click on the reconnect box, I never actually look at the wanapoo home page and have 20 or so unread messages as I dont use the wanapoo address.

I am happy if it disconnects every 24 hours or to put it another way I am happy to reconnect every morning, it is the other disconnections which I now believe coincide with using/answering the phone which bother me.

Many ADSL modems will contain some sort of log of activity. How you get to it will depend on the modem, etc. so I'm afraid I cannot explain that. Similarly, how to avoid having to reconnect will depend on the modem and software being used. I use an Ethernet ADSL modem configured as a router. I have configured it to use an "always on" connection so, as soon as Wanadoo drop the connection it automatically immediately re-establishes it.

Wanadoo/Orange software - I have no idea about as its so bad I got rid of it ages ago.

It might not be the 24hr drop-out and may be something else. However, if you note the time you last re-connected to the next disconnect (several times as lines can just drop for "no good reason2 on occasions) and see it it is around the 24 hour point.

I can go for ages without noticing mine once the "24 hr drop" is in the middle of the night. However, switch-off power do do some electrics and the "time point2 moves to during the day and I stand a higher chance of noticing it.

If you are having to manually re-connect then it sounds like you are using a dial-up connection rather than what I would think of as an "always-on" connection. Sounds like you might be "dialling" then just leaving it connected. If you are, ensure the "idle time before hanging-up in the "connection properties" is set to "Never".

If you are using the Wanadoo/Orange software then you may be stuck. It is now some time since I used it, but when I last did it did not allow you to control the connection properties (hardly at all). Thus you will need to leave it as Wanadoo/Orange want you to (or get rid on their software - which is what most people do).

Sorry I cannot be more help but there are so many different possible configurations and devices and they tend to have different options, ways of doing things, functionality and are used in different ways.

If its related to answering the telephone then definitely sounds like "Simon Says" - filters. Have you definitely got a filter on every phone handset (something I found necessary) and not just the ADSL modem connection. If you have, try purchasing some replacements (not expensive). If you have more than one telephone handset, does it depend which phone is answered ?

Ian

I'm having a similar problem. After 15 months without any drop outs suddenly this week I have a problem. We are still using our UK phones, and I know this could be at the root of it, but what happens now is that when I try to access a web page (any), my Netgear ADSL wireless router starts flashing orange on the little "i" LED and the requested web page is unavailable. I go to the phone and unplug it, and hey presto the router flashes green again and the page appears! Why this should have started happening after all this time I've no idea, but I guess the solution is to try a new (French) phone. The wiring standards are different; I think the French ones use just wires whilst the UK ones need 3 (I'm sure someone will correct me!). The phone works OK but obviously I can't put up with this so I'll try a new one. I've checked that the ADSL filters are correctly installed.

Sid 

Don't forget the REN (ringer equivalent number, mostly one, but may be more), usually printed on anything connected to the phone line. Sum of RENs of phones, faxes, modems etc. connected to your line must not be more than four. Make sure you have a modem filter as well as the phone filters...

Does the REN apply to France as well. When I first moved here I was not sure and asked in several shops (incl. a French Telecom shop) and they all were vague and said it did not matter - just connect as many as you need.

I know the UK has this REN thing which there days seems irrelevant as most devices and a REN much less than 1 (despite the fact that they are (were) always marked as one as fractional RENs seemed "not used". With the French REN I'm only repeating what I was told - no other knowledge, no professional qualifications, not letters after my name, etc. in this regard.

Ian

As a general bit of good practice swapping your modem for a router usually provides a more reliable connection.  There are loads around, and they take the pain out of ADSL connectivity as no device drivers or ISP software is required.  The Wanadoo/Orange software is very intrusive, and for my money is best not installed at all.  You can get a router for around £30 these days, and you have the added advantage of a 4 port switch built in on most allowing you to connect more than one computer to the web.

Regards

Simon

Bump what Simon Said

All my pals here have unreliable connections with Orange Livebox, Clubinternet and usb modems. The software is slow to connect and rarely stays connected for more than a few hours.

When I lend them my Netgear Router DG834 they have instant connection that never drops (or is re-established autoatically within seconds)

Ditch the providers hard/soft ware. Windows connects automatically through generic modem/routers.