Motherboard updates

My husband had a computer game (Call of Duty 2) for Christmas, but it won`t play properly, being very slow and jerky. I emailed the game manufacturer who said we need to update the drivers for the graphics card and motherboard.

It being a French computer, I`m not sure where to find the name etc for the motherboard. The computer is virtually new, so would it need updates? We found the latest driver for the graphics card (NVidea Geeforce F6150LE), but I think maybe that was what it already had.

Can anyone offer any suggestions to make the wretched game play?

Many thanks

Cheryl 

Cheryl,

even if the pc is pretty new, it could be a reasonably old model.  Go to the website of the manufacturer, and you should find updates for the motherboard on there.  You should only need to type in the model number, and then you can get access to the updates - if they exist. 

On most modern games you can turn down the detail and graphics to obtain a smoother moving picture. I would suggest that the only way to get it to play better is to fit a game orientated graphics card such as an Nvidia 6600 or better with at least 256 mb of graphics Ram. I thing that the card that you have uses system memory and if you do not have at least 1 Gb of system Ram this can slow modern games down. New PCs are built down to a price and you need to know exactly what you want for a games machine.

Gary, here`s what it says it needs on the game box:

3D accelerator card - 100% direct x 9.0 compatible 64mb hardware accelerator video card and the latest drivers

english version of windows2000/xp

pentium iv 1.4ghz or amd athlon xp 1700+ processor or higher

256mb ram (512mb ram recommended)

100% direct x 9.0c compatible 16 bit sound card and latest drivers

100% windows 2000/xp compatible mouse, keyboard and latest drivers

4.0gb of uncompressed free hard disk space (plus 600mb for windows 2000/xp swap file)

2x dvd-rom drive 

I know we haven`t got English Windows, but surely that wouldn`t stop it playing, would it?

Our computer is HP Pavilion A1605 with AMD Athlon 64 3500, 1024 DDR memory, and the Geeorce graphics card 6150LE with 256 memory. We`ve got Direct X 9.

Many thanks

Cheryl

From that I would suggest that doing what BobT has suggested, would smooth up the play. You should also be able (I think) to increase the amount of ram available to your existing card and that will, again, smooth things out. Not sure on the proceedure with your particular card but check out the Geo-force website for information.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Your P.C. has an ASUS A8M2N-LA motherboard with onboard graphics.  The GeForce graphics card you refer to (GeForce 6150 LE) is actually the motherboard chipset not the graphics card.  Unfortunately onboard graphics cards are not built for modern P.C. games as they utilise the system memory, and don't have 3D rendering.  Upgrading your motherboard i.e. flash bios is fraught with problems unless you know what you are doing, and in this case I don't believe it would make any difference anyway.  You could purchase a PCI Express graphics card (there is an expansion slot for this on your motherboard) with suitable onboard memory and rendering, either nVidia or ATI Radeon cards they vary in price depending on the spec.

Sorry, but I had the same problem with my wife’s P.C. and in the end turned off the onboard graphics and installed an (in my case) AGP high spec graphics card.

I think your current setup is ok for this game, maybe a problem with something running in the background

Whatever the problem I wouldnt splash out on a GFX card unless you are a 'gamer'

I have a similar machine and although not that into games I haven't had problems with machines with less spec.

Have a play with some settings, i'm sure it will run.

Lee