Wi-Fi Hotspots

Most versions of windows will automatically create a ‘Workgroup’ when a network card is installed. The default name will usually be workgroup. Using ‘My Computer’ or Windows Explorer (not to be confused with Internet Explorer) you can select a folder and mark it as ‘Shared’. You can then set ‘permissions’ on that folder for either particular users or to all to have access. That allows any other computer connected to the ‘Workgroup’ to access the files and sub folders of the folder you have marked as ‘Shared’.

If you have marked your whole ‘Volume’ as being shared then a person joining the ‘Workgroup’ can locate your Outlook data file (Personal Folder.pst) and simply add that to their Outlook and have access to all your emails. Really you should always put a password on your Personal Folder which can be done via the Options menu in Outlook but nobody ever does. File locking is automatically instigated at ‘Record’ level so you may only find out somebody has done this if you both access say the same email at the same time. The type of message you may get is that the email is in use by another user and that you can only read it.

You also normally need to set up a ‘Workgroup’ if you want to share a printer. This is where you only have one printer and two PC’s, both can use the same printer providing the PC that the printer is connected to is powered up, if memory serves me it does not have to be logged in but it’s a long time since I have shared a printer because we use wireless printers and scanners.

Most hacking at this low level is totally reliant upon people leaving the default values in place or using standard passwords like manager, admin, letmein or even the users name (two favourites are fred and derf  because they are four keys in a square etc).

If you have two computers using the same router and the router is also a DHCP server then the PC’s are able to talk to each other because they are effectively connected to the internal network and so will all have IP address’s starting with 192.168.x.x. All a hacker has to do is use the default IP address of the router which is by default either 192.168.0.0 or 192.168.0.1 and they will get an IP address leased to them.

To be absolutely honest the chances of anyone wanting to ‘hack’ in to your personal computer is very slim if not ever unless you have some sort of secret job or something but then I would suspect your IT department has set it up for you and will have changed all the defaults and probably created a ‘user policy’ on your PC.

Using Microsoft’s ‘Remote Assistance’ does require user participation on the PC being accessed (you have to ‘approve’ the connection) but there are third party products such as Novel’s ZEN Works which can be set so that you never know but again its extremely unlikely that this would be the case with a home user.

So the best think to do is change the ‘Workgroup’ name to something silly that involves letters and numbers. If you want others so access parts of your hard drive use the ‘Permissions’ function and remove the ‘everyone’ group and enter specific names. You should also change the router address but you MUST leave it staring with 192.168 and also change the router password again to something using letters and numbers (it makes it so much harder for hackers).

[quote user="Rjpfrancais"][quote user="Spg"]

Well actually - I'll just whisper it 'cos I am embarrassed, but - we have a rented livebox at the moment. Now we have had adsl for 3 months, and I am feeling a little more courageous, I am anxious to ditch the livebox and sort the internet access to avoid using the Orange software; hence my query.

Sue  [/quote]

Sue, there's nothing actually wrong with the Livebox per se, I know a lot of people have problems with them but then again a lot of people (like myself) use them quite happily (we have 2 PCs directly connected plus a laptop which we connect via Wifi). The main beefs seem to be 1) Why rent when you can buy your own box outright, but on the other hand if your Livebox goes on the blink you can just take it down to your nearest FT shop and they will give you a new one. 2) The Livebox is not exactly at the cutting edge of technology particularly as regards Wifi access. This actually doesn't matter for a lot of people but if you need Wifi access through thick walls, for example, then one of the latest MIMO or draft N models might be a better bet.

You don't need to load the Orange software to use a Livebox. The Orange software isn't loaded on any of our PCs (I particularly dislike those 'Veuillez Patienter' messages.), we just access the Livebox via a standard Windows XP network setup.

Hope that's useful. [/quote]

Rjp - that is very useful, thanks a lot. I am very unsure of myself when it comes to setting up anything new to do with the computers so I am delighted our adsl actually functions at all. I must agree I hate the Orange software though, I will try and see if I can start again without using the Orange disc.

Sue

Oh Quillan

normally I manage pretty well with all things computer related but your post just made my brain ache. That isn't a bad thing, it just means I have more to learn...

I get the feeling that one day things will get so complicated with networking and IT in general that one day everything is just going to grind to a halt and every one will suddenly remember that we managed OK without computers/internet/mobile phones and fridges that tell you the milk is off. By then Windows will be installed in our heads at birth and it might be too late. Anyway that is a different post.

Danny (luckily with just one computer and one modem for the moment and a toaster that can't be hacked...yet)

[quote user="Quillan"]You don't have to protect your router from being used by others to connect to the internet via broadband because it does not cost you but you should protect your PC's from being accessed via the router which is easy to do. [/quote]

I agree with everything you say, and your extensive post on setups was very clear and concise (especially the bit about passwords!) but may I take issue with your comment above.  I agree it does not cost in monetary terms for others to connect via your wifi connection but it does reduce your bandwidth and increase contention, ultimately reducing your connection to a crawl which you are paying for.  Ever heard of 'Warchalking'?  Even now you can see these marks on the pavements (Usually a chalk circle with some connection data) These are used by geeks and hackers to show where an easy access point has been found and left unprotected or default password or such.  Not a problem I suppose in rural areas but if you're in town then someone in the next street could be say downloading a film from Bittorrent leaving you to wonder why your connection is 'a bit slow tonight'

Explicit MAC addresses is probably the best way to go but I have seen even that circumvented by a naughty piece of software - Give me cables anyday!

ZFP - Yes you are right, it does decrease your bandwidth but in my case I am talking about our B&B and to be honest for me it's not as imortant. If somebody wants to stay with us for a week because we have a WiFi connection because sadly they want to be in contact with their office during their holiday then loosing a little bandwidth compaired with the 500 Euros they have spent with me is nothing in the general scheme of things. Of course if everyone turned up outside my gate and started using my WiFI to access the internet I would be a bit upset but the reality for me and many of the forum members is very slim if not ever.

Using a fixed IP address will help but as you said it won't make your network completely hacker proof but then who is really going to bother with a home network? Providing you use the range of IP address's I suggested you shouldn't have much of a problem.

Even with a single PC as I said it will by default set up a workgroup so even if you don't want it go change the name to something stupid. Also, probably more important either change or create a password (some routers don't have a password set when you take them out of the box) on your router. NEVER  EVER keep the one it came with and if possible change the IP address. I have seen routers (TeleConnect as an example) that are both hardwired and WiFi. If you use the hardwire you need to go and turn OFF the WiFi option which is part of the router setup and easy to find. Using a cable and turning off the WiFi is definatly the safest way to go for 90% of home users.

At the end of the day it's six and two threes really.

I've had a look at the 7 sites listed in Alençon - they are all Orange sites needing a subscription.  It may be that this is a mirror site of Orange OR it has just started up and all it has on it so far are the Orange sites.  Or maybe Alençon is just the exception?

Sorry. [:(]

Cassis I think I can explain why this is. Having a business here in France for several years, I got fed up with the poor customer service from Wanadoo/Orange  until a French friend of mine who runs a restaurant told me to change my account to a compte pro, and she was correct - I now get much better service, albeit for a slightly higher abbonnement.

Anyway, I also get a Livebox pro - which is basically a black livebox with a few extra RJ45 ports . What I also got with it were some documentation on registereing my office/ business as a WiFi hotspot and some window stickers to advertise the fact. Once you agree to be a Hotspot you are automatically listed in the directories as being a Wifi hotspot in your dept. I haven't read the docs that came with it but maybe there is some financial incentive to being a Hotspot provider?