Has anyone else getting problems with Alice and not being able to get a phone line and a delay/echo on the line if you can get one? We have the 29.99 package but it seems pointless when most of the time you can't use the phone! We have complained and after trying numerous technical solutions an engineer is apparently coming out. Has anyone cancelled the 12 month subscription early and how easy is this?!

[quote user="Pumpkin"]

Has anyone else getting problems with Alice and not being able to get a phone line and a delay/echo on the line if you can get one? We have the 29.99 package but it seems pointless when most of the time you can't use the phone! We have complained and after trying numerous technical solutions an engineer is apparently coming out. Has anyone cancelled the 12 month subscription early and how easy is this?!

[/quote]

If you are locked in a 12 month contract, you can only get out of it by:

1. sending them a "lettre de mise en demeure" (sample here) This is a demand that says "sort it out it or I'll leave'
  2. the letter has to be sent by registered post with prrof of receipt (LR+AC). Do check the address you need to send it to.

3. if the period notice shown in the letter expires without any improvement of the problem, then you can get out of the contract without penalty charges.
  4. you can then send the "lettre de résiliation de contrat" (sample here)
  5. the letter has to be sent by registered post with prrof of receipt (LR+AC). Do check the address you need to send it to.

Thanks Clair that is really helpful. Will see how it goes with the Technicien visit and go from there. When I cancelled at France Telecom the man rather miffed that I had cancelled and gone elsewhere did say he'd see me back in a few months! Was just wondering whether I was the only one suffering?!

I'm afraid that echoes etc are endemic with VOIP phones, which is why I would be reluctant to go 100% with no FT line as a backup.

Unfortunately you do tend to get what you pay for.

If your broadband is working OK , don't assume that you will get improved phone service by swapping supplier.