I've just received a small quantity of Verbatim discs from a well-known UK internet site (about a third of the cost of the French equivalent - including the postage!) and found - wait for it!!! - they don't work! The +R, +RW and -RW discs are all fine but when I try to use a -R in my DVD recorder it shows 'disc full' and when I  put one in the P.C. my DVD icon changes to CD and the machine doesn't recognize the existence of the discs. Any thoughts anyone?

Some of my equipment, for reasons best known to itself, hates particular makes of disc. Verbatim are amongst the worst offenders.  It could bejust that.  Do you have a DVD recorder you could try them in - or maybe a friend's pc - just to find out if they are actually duff?

I was afraid that might be the answer! I'm waiting to try the test you mention. Back in the days of steam power I ran W98 and the machine would accept any old rubbish, the I (foolishly) upgraded to W2000 and it really started to get picky. I've since had a French XP installed so maybe it only wants to be fed with French discs now!

Most home DVD players only play +R discs. PC DVD drives were similar in that some played and wrote +Rs and some -Rs. Modern ones do both. If you have Nero Burning ROM on the PC then Nero has a tool which checks the drive and will tell you what disks can be used.

There is neither rhyme nor reason with dvd -r and dvd +r discs The only way to be sure is to try them to see if they will be compatible with different makes of DVD players and DVD drives. It also depends which machine they are burned or recorded or copied on. Welcome to the easy breezy digital age.

This site  might be useful, it lists all the players and whats discs will play and lots of user comments.Weren't VCRs reliable....

Danny

PS My experience is that most dvd-r will play in my Samsung DVD player but it does not like dvd+r very much or dvd - or + rw

Also the PC drive will sometimes play things that the dvd player won't.

PPS what is it going to be like with the next dvd stuff - hd dvd and blu-ray???