Wireless Router problems

Last week we changed to a wireless router ( Belkin ASDL Modem with Wireless G Router). Ever since then Outlook Express is intermitent, sometimes it will not open at all, other times it refuses to 'send / receive'. To cure this I have to log out and log back on again.......

At the same time the page of my ISP that I could in theory use to check mail refuses to load (bt.yahoo) It says 'Done' but the page is blank, although I can access it by using my daughters lap top.

Any ideas ?

Hi. We use the same kit you mention. Do you think that this is a loss of wireless signal? We live in a stone house and do need to watch where we use the laptop from. Keeping an eye of the icon in the taskbar is about the only way of knowing if signal has been lost. When you use your daughter's laptop are you using the same wireless adaptor as you use in your pc?

I have AVG and Zone Alarm, both free versions and problem free while daughters lap top or bundled software came with Norton, 3 month free trial (and no amount of parental persuading could stop her taking this up [:(][:(] stubborn....I wonder where she gets that from ? [8-)]) 

When I phoned the guy who fitted it about this problem I complained that I couldn't see the hardware anywhere to check speed etc and he said that I was correct - its not listed. How do I log on to my router ?

( I have now officially confirmed my computer dummie status [:$])

Exactly as bugbear says. 

The only thing I would add would be that it would be easier from the laptop, as this dosn't seem to lose its IP adress.

If you need to check the IP address on your PC,  Go> start - run - cmd and then type 'ipconfig', the address should be similar to the router address (i.e 192.168.x.x).

By the way, if the machine has lost its address due to lease time expiry, you can type 'ipconfig/renew' instead of logging off and back on.

OK guys - now I have found that page and the info with DHCP included is

DHCP Clients num99

DHCP ServerEnabled

What next ?

Many thanks for all your help so far.........[:)]

PS I just clicked on a DHPC link on the side bar and the client list shows 5 computers - erm..... do I have a problem ?

Just butting in while the other guys are having a coffee.

1) Are all your connections wireless ? Or are some wired into the router (if you are just 'next door to it...') . A wired connection would be worth trying if you can, if only to establish a baseline.

2) Is the router using some security ? If not then 3 of the 5 connections listed might be your neighbours !

If it is using security is it a) WEP or B) MAC authorisation (nothing to do with apple macs)

I find that a) WEP slows things down so marginal connections don't work. I use MAC which basically means you tell the router who it can connect to AND NOBODY ELSE UNLESS I SAY SO.  Sorry for the caps but dealing with computers is like dealing with kids, unfathomable.

3) I had to set Zone Alarm up to see the router & the wirelss card in the pc as 'trusted'. Have you done that ?

Good luck. Sorry if any of the above is a red herring.

John

[quote user="Russethouse"]

I am literally next door to the router - I can see it as I type, while she is downstairs.

[/quote]

But is there any wall (or window) between you and it ? Some windows have a metallic element which acts as a good filter.

Hi,

Now that you can see the router config you need to see if there is a dhcp lease time setting; some routers have it and some don't.  I have a similar model belkin at home so I can look it up later, (currently at work).  From what you have described it looks as if this one may not.

I suggested this as a possible cause, as I had exactly the same symptoms as you, and it was solved by disabling DHCP and assigning static addresses.  But if you do not have much experience of configuring PC's at this level, I would suggest that you ask the chap who set them up for you initially to help out.  

I'm not trying to dip out of helping further (honest!), but configuration assistance through a forum is not the easiest of things to do.  I wouldn't want a minor irritation to end up as a bigger problem.

I'm just thinking of things as I type this out............ when you next experience the failed connection on your PC, could you type the following at a command prompt: ipconfig /release followed by ipconfig /renew and then let us know if this re-connects you.  If it does it will be the DHCP settings.

I'll check in later when I've had a look at my own router.

Regards

Geoff

I tried but I think I went wrong - how do I get to the command prompt - is it by entering 'cmd' in the 'Run' box ?

Then should I type ipconfig/release then press enter then ipconfig/renew ?

Talk about baby steps - many thanks for your patience.......[:)]

Must feed the troops - back later.......

Hi,

Back at home now, and I've had a look at my router.

Firstly to answer your just posted question; you're correct in saying 'cmd in the run box'.  This brings up the command prompt (a black box) or 'dos' as some people may remember it! 

"......Then should I type ipconfig/release then press enter then ipconfig/renew"......right again....(don't forget to hit the enter after renew).

What we are trying to establish by doing this is whether or not the IP address is being dropped after a certain period.  After checking my own config I think the default setting may be set to 'forever', if this is the case then I think your problem lies elsewhere.  But if it set to anything else it may be the cause.  You can check the setting under Lan settings.

Geoff

Try holding down the windows key, normally second in from the left on the bottom of your keyboard, and then press r.  That should call up the run option.  Type cmd and press OK and you will have a black dos box.  ipconfig is a useful diagnostic tool and you can see all it does by calling up its help option by typing ipconfig /?

Note the space between ipconfig and the /.  The option I suggest you use is ipconfig /all and then post the results here for the chaps to inspect.

Simon