New build and SKY

Our new build is now complete, just waiting for the hand over; I now need to install a satellite dish for SKY TV, we have TV points in most of the rooms and I assume that we have some sort of a junction box in the loft. If I want to attach a SKY box to more than one of these TV points, do I need anything other than a standard dish and LNB? I would appreciate any advice.

Broadley you can have :

One dish and one skybox and pipe the picture from that box round the house. or

An multi head LNB ( Thing on the end of the dish arm) and a completely separately seperate cable from the one outlet each of the LNB to each room and a digibox in each room.) If you source an LNB with two or more outlets in France make sure they are not offset by 6 degrees . This is the option if you want to watch the football while you spouse watches the Soaps or vice versa.

Subject is big enough to warrant SATCURE selling a 96 page E book on 'Piping TV round the house'  which will tell you everything you need to know. If the wiring and plastering is finished it is probably worth buying as you can porbably salvage something from the cabling which is in.

I was going to do all the extra LNB thing, but decided to hold off for a while. Went to Weldom and got a "rabbit" a short range rf transmitter that radios the signal from the SKY box to a reciever plugged into the telly in our bedroom, works brilliantly and cost 32euros. It's a cheaper option if you don't need to see a different channel on each set.

Take heed of what Anton says, but don't assume that the cable your electrician has run to each room is of a good enough standard for satellite IF (@ 1.2GHz) - they will normally use TV coax (unsuprisingly) and a passive (unpowered) splitter.

As you cannot connect more than 1 satellite receiver to a single LNB, perhaps your best bet is to run a cable from the Sky box position to the input of the splitter and distribute the satellite signal that way. (Or do as the other poster has said, and use a transmitter type).

I posted a drawing in this forum on how to do this, but I can never find it...

I agree with Nick - it's more than likely a system for ordinary terrestrial TV - unless you have requested otherwise.

Incidentally - the LNBs with the 6 degrees of separation are usually fairly well labelled 'For reception of Hotbird and Astra19e' - they are also known as 'Monobloc' LNBs.

The ones that give two signals for two boxes on the same satellite are called 'Twin LNBs'

Tim

A video resender (our is Phillips) is perfect. We use ours in the bedroom and with our cheepo and light LCD T.V. outside in summer. You can even use the remote control and seems fine with all our other wireless stuff, i.e. internet, bluetooth, phones etc.

Video Senders - depends how thick your walls are and how much water you have in your body. Our is and was OK but 10 metres with a cob wall between the living room and the kitchen dinner is about the limit. Also hates the microwave being on or me standing between the sender and the receiver.