Does any knowledgable person know if is possible to transfer film clips on a VCR tape, to the hard disk on your computer? Can it be done by linking the player and the PC together with a designated USB lead? It would be interesting to learn!

I have recently transferred my entire home video collection onto my hard drive, thereby being able to say goodbye to both video machine and tapes thus saving much space.

The way I have done it is by buying a tv card where the yellow rca plug goes into it and the stereo red and white rca plugs go into a 3.5mm adaptor that went into my line in on my sound card.

I now use my pc as a video machine which has my skybox and french tv box connected to it in a similar manner.

Thank you for the info. I have found the converter Plextor on the internet, but it ddoes cost £159. I suppose it would be cheaper to buy a DVD/VCR combi player, which can be obtained a little cheaper. Anyway, thank you again and I will now ponder.

[quote user="LyndaandRichard"]I have recently transferred my entire home video collection onto my hard drive, thereby being able to say goodbye to both video machine and tapes thus saving much space.

The way I have done it is by buying a tv card where the yellow rca plug goes into it and the stereo red and white rca plugs go into a 3.5mm adaptor that went into my line in on my sound card.

I now use my pc as a video machine which has my skybox and french tv box connected to it in a similar manner.

[/quote]

That's How I have done mine too. Buying a TV card is much cheaper than other equipment and you also have the added bonus of using it to record TV too.

[quote user="Onion van man"][quote user="LyndaandRichard"]I have recently transferred my entire home video collection onto my hard drive, thereby being able to say goodbye to both video machine and tapes thus saving much space.

[/quote]

That's How I have done mine too. Buying a TV card is much cheaper than other equipment and you also have the added bonus of using it to record TV too.

[/quote]

Exactly. 20 quid and you're sorted.