Voicemail on Orange Pay as you Go SIM

how do i enable voicemail? when i call 888 in france i get a voice with 3 options in french, unfortunately too fast and complex for my limited language skills, although there is something about a 'code secret'. I did take the phone to an Orange shop in france, where a nice young lady did lots of typing and then told me it was OK, but the problem remains [:(]

Well, you do usually need to enter your code to access voicemail from your cellphone.  Did the nice young lady not give you one when you visited the Orange shop? And when you first call, generally you're asked to change the code.

I have generally found that, even with my limited language skills, if I listen to the menu options repeatedly (and perhaps jot down the words that I do understand), I eventually figure it out.  Also, if you bought a new cell when you set up your account, you should have gotten a manual or some other form of written instructions with it.  Have you read that (have your dictionary handy)?

This may help…..

From the orange.fr home page, click on “assistance” at the top, then “les services mobiles” in the “Mobile” section, then “messagerie vocale”.

Looks like it should be set up automatically (Question 1).

The “secret code” is for remote accessing your voicemail messages from another phone in the same way as telephone answering machines can be remote accessed.  You don’t need a code to listen to messages through your Orange mobile.

It might also be worthwhile checking “Call Diversion” in the phone’s menu to make sure that divert to Voicemail (if the phone is off / out of service / or engaged) is activated.  Is it an Orange France mobile?  If not the Voicemail number may be wrong (for example, if it was a UK phone on O2, the Voicemail number may be set to 901).

If you are being asked for your secret code, the chances are that you have not yet personalised the greeting for your voicemail.  I can't remember the exact option numbers, but you are probably being asked to record your name, and then if you would like to use the standard pre-recorded greeting message (in French).  If you have not yet done this you will be prompted to do so every time you dial 888 to check your messages.