Sunwood black matrix tv and sat receiver

A few questions from a sat novice if anyone can help.

Based in France Limousin just been donated sunwood tv and aquired SL1 sat receiver and dish

Have I any hope of making this work. Not sure this tv nationality. It has a scart point and AV but I cant seem to get sat receiver dispay on screen to display any menu functions.

Tv came with UK plug . Mate told me he had it working but in France, I'm not so sure!.

Do I need decoder for freeview channels.

I do not want sky just French freeview channels.

See what I mean when I say complete novice!

Don't know this type of receiver or set up;   but you SHOULD get something on the screen provided you've hooked up the SCART correctly and - if necessary - got the TV to "look" at its AV input (there may be AV1 and AV2 and/or more!).

If the sat box is analogue the you can get the basic channels from Atlantic Bird 3 at 5 deg west,  but only in SECAM colour,  which may only display in black and white on a UK sourced TV (even via Scart).

If the box is digital you can get SOME of the French channels,  (ie F2 F3 F5 Parl F4 Arte) from the same satellite,  but this may well not last for ever when they may become "invisible" for reasons to long to go into here.

Otherwise there are limited French sat channels on Hotbird and Astra1,  most are scrambled however.

see www.lyngsat.com for details

First step is to get the menus up and running though and I can't really help you there without seeing whether the box is analogue or digital and how it's reacting with the TV>

Laters:  is it an ELAP SL1?  If so it's analogue,  and should be fine on AB3 as described above,  apart from the potential colour problem.   Either you've not hooked it up right,  or you've got something duff -  either the box or the TV.   Try it with a different TV to start with perhaps.

Thanks for trying to help. The box is an elap SL 1 and the diagrams all show a hook up to a magnetoscope a video recorder I am guessing but my setup goes from tv to tv scart socket, is this a problem. It looks like only one AV channel but hard to say as remote is universal and no buttons on TV other than basic on /off and volume.I am getting static only after re-seating cables. And reseting SL 1 to factory reset.I have not had a screen yet that looks like it originates from SL-1.I got the impression from others that if you point the dish at the sky your bound to pick something up. Perhaps I have not set the Sl 1 correctly for my area.

Thanks for trying anyway

If you're getting static (snow and hiss) then it's unlikely that the TV is "looking" at the AV input - normally a blank AV gives just a black (or very dark grey) screen,  and silence from the audio.

It's a real bummer trying to work out how to use a TV with a univeral remote;  sometimes the "0" button does AV,  sometimes a button marked AV or ext.  Sometimes there's a symbol of a screen with an arrow pointing in to it.

Having said that,  if you've hooked the scart labelled "TV" on the sat box to the Scart on the TV,  then turning the sat box "on" should trigger the TV over to AV.   If it doesn't it may (may!) mean the TV is knackered.

I would not - personally - follow Anton's advice about using a Sky box to orient a dish;   the rest of what he says is fine;   taking the TV over to someone with Sky would at least as he says allow you to see whether the AV input on the TV workd..    But you really won't find a satellite by luck - the arc in the sky is quite narrow,  and you only find a signal if the frequency,  polarisation,  band switching etc are all correct.   You might just get lucky if you can find say the French channels preloaded on the box and then wave the dish around but....

You really need to see what the box is doing on the screen before we can go further;   borrowing someone else's portable TV (and remote!!) would be the simplest.

That's where I would start as well, Martin.

Can I ask, does the TV show any on screen displays when you switch it on? This may help to find out what 'input' the TV is showing. I would expect it to shown a '1' or something like that. If it does, then I would suggest that it's showing no signal on it's inbuilt analogue tuner - without an aerial being plugged in.

Does the set have a model number that can be searched for on the internet? What buttons does it have on it's front panel?

None of this info may help, but you never know!!

Tim

Actually I was thinking about this overnight in the light of a recent attempt I made to tune in TMC (which is now also available in SECAM analogue on AB3) on a friend's box.

It was an analogue Metronic and I could not see how to get the menus up on screen - I tried every fr*gging button on the remote - nothing.   I wondered in fact if it was such a simple box that there are NO menus as such,  because I noticed an H/V button on the remote,  and maybe you just key in the real (or possibly intermediate) frequency without an on screen guide,  along with the H/V setting,  and then press the "set" button.   I couldn't get it to work anyway.

Our French friends had mislaid the instruction book,  but I felt a bit of a twit seeing as it was I who had shown him how to set up a dish in the first place a couple of years ago!

So a quick glance at the instruction book to check on how to call up menus if approriate might be a good idea.

Thanks everyone I think we found the answer. We disconnected our setup and plugged the Tv into the standard ariel which we know  gives a very poor signal to test tv. Seeing as it rolled over in the back of the car on a roundabout. (yes my driving is getting very French).The Tv worked with poor picture quality. Anyway it all came back to the universal remote!! my wife fiddled with it and discovered a system 2 Well I did not know we had a system 1 until she used the shift button and experimented.The picture tune in quality on system 2 is spot on and I am wondering if this is a PAL versus Secam  thing. Anyway I'm using the terrestrial ariel for now but when I try it again with the sat receiver I'll use system 2.

I have also been offered the service of a kind expat with meter for sat install, "things are looking up"

Cheers everyone.