Does anyone here have any experiences (good or bad) with TELE2 Box in a Zone non-dégroupé ?

Their current offer of 34.90€, including the line charge, for Internet access plus unlimited telephone calls sounds attractive, but I have a some concern about all calls being via VoIP :-

If there is a power cut/failure (unfortunately frequent here), or if the box itself fails, is it still possible to make calls on the normal phone line ?

Hi,

Not sure re Tele2 box , but I have just got my Teleconnect set up, as yours, with VOIP calls via the modem. VOIP drops at a rate of 3 times a day but when I notified Teleconnect they are aware that they have a problem with other customers so I know its not my line. To phone when this happens you can disconnect the telephone line from the box and use FT line (if you have kept it which I think you should automatically). My calls to the UK are included in the 34.90€ monthly cost and I also have an 0844 number for my fiends and family to call me from the UK at 3p per minute. Happy at present[:)]

roseysan

How successful the VoIP service would

be must depend on how reliable you ADSL connection is. In the last

couple of months I have had two incidents where I have been without

ADSL for a month (one month on each occasion). Getting

Wanadoo/Orange/France Telecom to actually do something was a great

challenge and I was really glad I still had my traditional telephone.

Actually the incidents cost me a fortune in calls to FT/Wanadoo

because you have to call their premium rate number to do anything.

Although it was a problem with the FT line, because it was ADSL and

the landline works calling 1013 (or similar) i.e. calling FT was no

good at all as they just refused to do anything. On one occasion I

eventually argued for a refund of 60€ for calls to their premium

rate fault reporting service.

Ian

I should perhaps have made it clearer that the offer which interests me entails Tele2, instead of FT, providing the line, the price of which is included.

I do have the option of keeping the FT line, but this means I would have also to pay FT's monthly charge of 16€ - a total of 50.90€, which is about what I pay at present for the FT line, Tele2 ADSL service, and the few calls I don't make via Skype.

The advantages seem to be faster ADSL, free telephone calls to all the countries I ever call, and only one company for both the line and the Internet service, hopefully avoiding the problem of which company is to blame when it doesn't work.

Possible disadvantage, as I asked, - can I still use the phone when the power fails/box packs up ?

No!  (in a word).

And I don't see how you'll get faster ADSL by changing unless you are in a town or very close to an exchange.   For most folk the limiting factor is governed by distance from the exchange,  and no operator can overcome that restriction better than any other.

I'd choose another operator - there are plenty that DON'T charge you exta for calls just because you want the comfort of keeping an ordinary reliable FT line.

[quote user="nomoss"]

I should perhaps have made it clearer that the offer which interests me entails Tele2, instead of FT, providing the line, the price of which is included.

I do have the option of keeping the FT line, but this means I would have also to pay FT's monthly charge of 16€ - a total of 50.90€, which is about what I pay at present for the FT line, Tele2 ADSL service, and the few calls I don't make via Skype.

The advantages seem to be faster ADSL, free telephone calls to all the countries I ever call, and only one company for both the line and the Internet service, hopefully avoiding the problem of which company is to blame when it doesn't work.

Possible disadvantage, as I asked, - can I still use the phone when the power fails/box packs up ?

[/quote]

As Martin says, you cannot make or receive calls if you cancel the FT line and there is problem with the box or adsl. Personally, I  have been happy with Alice.fr and I chose to keep the FT line because the box or adsl will go just when you don't need it to... they are still doing 3 months free so that saves half the year's FT rental cost. Best thing ( apart from the - so far so good - service and customer service) is that calls to them are always free. There's is nothing quite so irritating as being on hold and paying for the privelege.

Danny

Thanks, Martin and Danny.  Kind of like I expected !  And I'm not near any town.

The closer we get to being dégroupée the more pub I seem to receive from Tele2 and other operators.

One reason I have for staying with T2 at present is I have to pay them to opt out of the present arrangement, although I am quite satisfied with their service.

Better the devil.........

With FT the Livebox automatically drops back to the FT line if the adsl or power goes off. I've left 'onetel' on the FT line to catch any calls that go that way. VOIP seems to work quite well, except that occasional local calls connect, but we cannot be heard by, but can hear, the other person.