which PAYG French sim

just wondering who offer the best deal on a French pay as you go sim.  Ideally, I just want a sim to make local calls within France when we are there, so cheap to buy, reasonable call costs and one that I don't have to keep topping up or face losing my credit?

I've been checking out the French mobile provider websites, but I am just too tired to handle all that translation, and if it;s anything like the UK, I think I might get the best deal in Leclercs!

thanks

its still the cheapest by far, and piggybacks on the SFR netwoork, so amongst the best coverage throughout France. Yes it costs €1.50 a month, but just about all the other PAYG systems entail a €10 for 15 days credit, or €20 for 2 months. Calls are not prohibitively expensive abroad (sending and receiving), and you can receive calls in France from abroad for free. All the others you pay to receive the call. The credit lasts a year, then if you top it up at the end of the year, it carries all the credit forward for a further 12 months. If you use your mobile a fair bit, there is a declining scale of charges, though there comes a point, where it would be cheaper to have a contract mobile.

[quote user="clarksinfrance"]   All the others you pay to receive the call.
[/quote]

Forgive me, but I assume you are referring to using a UK mobile here whilst roaming, because, of course, you don't have to pay to receive a call on a French mobile while you're in France.

So what are you saying - that a Uk mobile topped up in Uk is cheaper or is the French Mobile with the 1.50 a month charge cheaper?

I am confused. All I am looking for is a French Mobile pay as you go but with one which does not need topping up every 15 days or 2 months (cos after that you lose it) as I only use it for emergencies or the odd call

Can anyone advise?

Well, at the moment I'm on SFR (thinking about changing to the Léclerc sim for obvious reasons) but I do not have to pay to receive a call from a foreign country. If I take the phone with me to England, then, of course, I would have to pay to receive a call as I would be roaming on a foreign network.

The caller, in another country, would have to pay to make the call and that would be more expensive as they would be calling a foreign mobile.

I worked for a mobile phone company for several years and I'm not aware of any European network that charges to receive calls when the phone is used on it's own network.

I think Tim has given the best advice...

There is nothing like the UK for PAYG in France. The main problem is the expiry of credit and the Leclerc card is probably the best offer at the moment. BUT...

it depends on your call usage.

If you are looking for something for emergemcies and the odd call then you might well be better with a UK payg card from Tesco or maybe try www.oneroam.co.uk who seem to offer pretty reasonable call rates - and appear to offer no expiry on sims or top ups - sounds pretty good to me. Also no charge to receive calls in France either.

I have no affilation with any company -  luckily don't even have or need a mobile anymore!

Danny

Although not advertised on the Internet both Orange and SFR do 'pay monthly' phone for 9 Euros with 10 mins free calls per month. For calls after the 10 mins has expired its 21 cents a minute, not the cheapest but then I only make about 5 calls a year, it's mainly for receiving calls transferred from our landline when we are out. We have just move on to this what with all the problems with Teleconnect mobiles at the moment.

I have just changed from Orange pay-as-you-go to the new LeClerc deal and have transferred the old number as well. The staff at LeClerc in Vannes were most helpful. For information you need to dial 527 from an Orange phone to get your R.I.O. which is the code needed to transfer your existing number to a new system, rather than change to a different number.

If anyone wants to make some free calls, I have about 50€ worth of credit to use up by the end of tomorrow because of the silly Orange system. I have been ringing as many folk I know in the UK as possible to use it up but won't use it all tomorrow. With Skype on the computer I don't need to make many UK phone calls anyway. The mobile is just useful for emergencies etc.

No doubt other providers will follow the LeClerc example soon, as they are bound to lose trade. Maybe they will even get to the UK pay-as-you-go and keep the credit until it runs out system.

[quote user="Bilbo"]No doubt other providers will follow the LeClerc example soon, as they are bound to lose trade. Maybe they will even get to the UK pay-as-you-go and keep the credit until it runs out system.[/quote]

That's what we all thought when NRJ Mobile started their no-expiry top-ups, but instead of the others providers bringing out competitive offers, NRJ introduced an expiry period to their to-ups!![6][6][6]

I'm sure I've written about this before but -  even in England, the networks will cut off a mobile if it's not used - I think the time scale varies between networks, but I think six months, or more, is the norm.

The phone netwroks in the UK did used to cut of mobiles after a month or so in the early days - it only changed, I believe, after the UK went through several very inconvenient (for some) number changes. This released many new ranges of numbers that could be used and relieved the pressure to re-use numbers.

Tim