Channel 4 FTA (at the moment)

If anyone's at a loose end and only has an FTA sat receiver (as opposed to a Sky box) they can watch what appears to be a test of channel 4 TV free to air on

10729 MHz,  Vertical,  22000 kbps,  FEC 5/6   Astra 2D

Quite a joy finally to see ch 4 without Sky's encryption fetters round it,   it may be a one off though.

Incidentally,  it's labelled as 8350,   presumably to throw people off the scent.

No guarantees that it'll last long,   but it's a VERY good omen for ch' 4's early inclusion on Freesat.

Martin,

If one does a skybox 'other channels' search it comes up with the whole bouquet on that transponder, is that where they normally live?

...sorry to seem dense, but I haven't got my HD box yet, so I can't see what is free and what is encoded.

p

Film 4 and the encrypted More 4 (I think) and a few others were already there on 10729 MHz,   the significance is that a (not as high quality as the main ones) version of C4 has been added as of yesterday in FTA.

I must say that with this excellent trimming-diown-to-size of Sky even I might contemplate an HD screen and box,  although with the £ going ever downwards it'll be an investment in the UK not here.

[quote user="Martinwatkins"]Film 4 and the encrypted More 4 (I think) and a few others were already there on 10729 MHz,   the significance is that a (not as high quality as the main ones) version of C4 has been added as of yesterday in FTA.

I must say that with this excellent trimming-diown-to-size of Sky even I might contemplate an HD screen and box,  although with the £ going ever downwards it'll be an investment in the UK not here.
[/quote]

I cannot see why one might comtemplate HD via Sky as there is currently a £10 per month charge for that very limited service. With the launch of Freesat in about 3 weeks HD will be available free with an anticipated one off charge for the HD box and dish of  £99 or with HD & PVR £149.

For more details of the Freesat service look at:

http://www.freesat.co.uk/home.php

http://www.astra2d.com/freesat.htm

Baz

I agree Baz,   but some time ago there were a couple of people here clamouring about wanting to get HD from Sky,   and pay monthly for the privilege.   When I suggested they delayed a bit they said that wasn't an option as far as they were concerned,   they wanted it NOW!

Can someone let me know how you put a other channel in your favorites with a sky box.

I have some favorites which I can scroll through with the blue button... After setting c4 up(succesfully!!) it seems I have to go to other channels if I want to view it.

okay.. its not the end of the world.. but it would be good to know

thanks

osie

I only asked whether you had a card as obviously if it was working you cuold watch ch 4 via the encrypted (normal at present) version.

The cards only work if they are dark blue with a yellow house on them,   the light blue ones were switched off in 2003.