Technology -what else do I not know about ?

Today I decided to buy an external dvd rom for use with my laptop (the existing one has never been reliable).

I bought a Samsung model from Cora. To my delight it came with the ability to print a label to special disk`s .A system called lightscribe .

http://www.lightscribe.com/

It made me wonder what other items of technology do I not know about.

I even heard Mr. Edison has invented the electric light ....no more candles for me.[;-)]

[quote user="krusty"]

Today I decided to buy an external dvd rom for use with my laptop (the existing one has never been reliable).

I bought a Samsung model from Cora. To my delight it came with the ability to print a label to special disk`s .A system called lightscribe .

http://www.lightscribe.com/

It made me wonder what other items of technology do I not know about.

I even heard Mr. Edison has invented the electric light ....no more candles for me.[;-)]

[/quote]

Join the gang.

<It made me wonder what other items of technology do I not know about.>  .......There are known unknowns, unknown unknowns .......

Lightscribe discs are lovely but a bit pricey

A lot cheaper than there were a year ago though!

BTW, now that the world has decided on Blu-Ray as the HD DVD standard, you will need a very, very sharp needle for your gramophone

OP, I think the MP3 player is one of the greatest pieces of technology ever invented if you like music.  You can get MP3/4 players these days with huge memory capacities for very little money.  You dont need an iPod, any will do, just pick one you like the look of.  Rip your CDs and any you can "borrow" from wherever to your computer, download MediaMonkey (a brilliant piece of FREE software) and convert them to MP3 format.  Then download your MP3s to the player and gardening will never be boring again !!!!

Trust me, if you like your music, get into this, you WILL be amazed.

Speaking of rippng...

A friend in the UK was telling me he had read a news item which suggested that those of us who copy our LP's onto the computer and then dump the disks could be technically in breach of copyright (like I care, but I was intregued). Was he just winding me up, or has anyone else come across this notion ?

paul

I would think the authorities would be more worried about the torrents which enables you to download quality mp3 (and movies, software etc) for free, rather than the minority who would copy inferior quality records onto their computer.

What happened about this p2p ban that was supposed to come in btw? Not heard a thing about this in ages. The UK was going to do it too, but again, heard nothing since.