Hi,

Fed up with dial-up, can anyone update me on the cheapest BROADBAND provider?

As I live in the DORDOGNE/CHARENTE border ( 24 ) mason secondair the provider needs to be at reasonble cost for the periods I stay at the premises.

Any advise would be appreciated,

Regards............Ray

I don't know of any ISP who offers anything other than annual contracts so your only real choice is between the prices of those. Having said that Teleconnect offer sans commitment but there is a

cancellation fee the repeated price of which will massively outweigh

any possible savings on an annual deal.

DEGROUPTEST will tell you who is offering what on your line.

If you are in a full degroupee area the you might be able to save the €16 monthly line rental to FT. The down side of that is if your line goes down FT won't want anything to do with you and it's your ISP who has to sort it during which time you'll have nowt. If it's a holiday home that might be a risk worth taking but for many permanant residents it's a step too far.

Thanks ErnieY,

Looks as though the broadband provider best for me is Neuf at 14.99euros /month for basic broadband to the internet.

However they seem to want you to rent the router, I would prefer to buy the ` Neuf box` but not speaking french find it difficult to discover if it is possible to buy it!

Anyone know whether a Neuf box is available to purchase?

or whether an alternative router would work?

Regards.........Ray

Once your line is BB enabled almost any router will work however if your chosen ISP offers added facilities, such as VOIP for free phone calls for instance, then these will almost certainly not work with a 3rd party router but of course you can always use Skype instead.

I haven't (can't [:$]) read the Neuf bumpf so don't know what their basic package comprises but as long as you have an FT line you will always be able to use an ordinary phone as you always have, you would just plug it into the filter which has to go into the socket first. If Neuf don't supply a filter, which I guess they wouldn't if not supplying the router, then you can buy one in Mr Bricolage.

The only routers which may not work are those which are locked to another ISP. I have one I brought over from UK which was locked to BT but I managed to hack it to overcome that little 'difficulty' and now I keep it as a spare in case mine goes down such as with a lightning strike as it has already done once.

You don't in fact need a router at all, all you need to get connected is an ADSL modem and a cheap USB one will be perfectly adequate for what you want. I have a USB one laying around and used it to get online when my router got fried in order to find and download the neccessary hack for my BT router.

[quote user="James2"]

Thanks ErnieY,

Looks as though the broadband provider best for me is Neuf at 14.99euros /month for basic broadband to the internet.

However they seem to want you to rent the router, I would prefer to buy the ` Neuf box` but not speaking french find it difficult to discover if it is possible to buy it!

Anyone know whether a Neuf box is available to purchase?

or whether an alternative router would work?

Regards.........Ray

[/quote]

James2

be aware that if you take the 14.90 broadband only option then this also means that all your telephone calls are on 'présélection' with Neuf. That means all your calls are routed through their network and you pay them for all your calls at their rates. If you are happy with this, fine. If you don't want présélection, then the broadband costs 5 euros extra per month..

One little thing. If you do choose Neuf, and do it online, you will see a box on the right of step 2 'saisir un code promo' (enter a promotional code) Click on it and enter dma29 and you should get 2 months free...

Not sure about the neufbox question but I would imagine that any decent modem or modem/router will work fine

Danny

Not with the Neuf broadband. The présélection with Neuf is a condition of the offer. It is possible to skip the présélection and stay with FT for calls but, like I said above, the cost for the broadband is then 5 euros extra a month.

Danny

[quote user="ErnieY"]I bow to your greater knowledge Danny. Presumably there is some advantage in the preselection pricing ?

[/quote] one thing is sure - there is a certain advantage to Neuf.

[quote user="ErnieY"]Still, fundamentally the statement that with an FT line you can always plug in an ordinary phone is true [;-)]

[/quote]fundamentally...

Danny

And to get the 14.90 offer you need to be in an area with full degroupage otherwise its 19.95 (+5 Euros if not preselection).

We have been with Neuf preselection and they are slightly cheaper than FT in most cases, though not as cheap as many of the alternative operators, so our call bill with Neuf is pretty small!

ErnieY - a quick question for you, if I may, and this maybe better via pm, but I've just been given a surplus B.T. hub and like you would like to keep it as a back up. It's a Home Hub and locked to the B.T. network - I had already had a quick look a few weeks ago, when I was first given it, for a way to unlock it, but have been too busy recently to sit down and have another play. Is this the sort of thing you have already discovered? If so, can I pick your brains as it could save me a bit of time searching.

Regards - Tim

Thanks ErnieY - I made my way to that website late last night and was wading my way through all the posts when I looked at the clock and decided it was time for bed. I will spend some time looking at this further when/if I get the time as it would be useful as a spare, but there is a limit.

Thanks for your help - regards - Tim

Thanks Guys,

I am not sure whether this makes any difference, but I have my telephone through ` UK Telecom` with bills paid on line.

Will I not be able to continue with this arrangement, unless I pay this extra 5euros/month?

Regards...........Ray

At present you have a line from FT but all your calls are preselected to be  routed through UK Telecom (IE You don't have to dial any special codes).

If you want to keep this arrangement you will be obliged to pay the 5euros supplement on your ADSL rental.