Home Networking grrr etc.

Hi all,

Sorry if this is an over-discussed topic but I did have a quick skim.

If there are other threads already discussing this, I would be grateful

if you would take a moment to link me to them by reply.

I moved to Normandy five months ago. When I did I had a France

Telecom line installed and procured the services of Teleconnect as the

ISP. What I did not realise at the time, and learned a harsh lesson to

the tune of hundreds of Euros, was that your France Telecom line is

preselected by Teleconnect so that all calls, made via the modem or

not, are charged by them. So, while I was on an all-inclusive package

with FT (40 Euros per month) I was also being charged top whack by

Teleconnect. I know - what a plank!

The reason I wasn't using their modem is because despite various

assurances from their helpline that my somewhat less than typical

set-up would work fine through their "box" (god, am I sick of hearing

the word box!), it didn't. Sadly, and to my amazement, Teleconnect told

me they could not offer me internet service without the line

pre-selection. ??

My second problem was that because I didn't use their own modem,

Teleconnect used this as a dead-end "support" excuse every time I

needed help.

My situation is that I work from home. I run one desktop PC, 2 laptops

on wifi and one hard-wired VoIP business telephone system. I do NOT

need a "box" I need a fully operational modem with a minimum 4 ports -

or at least the option to use my own and remain "supported"

I also need a static IP address and if it could include bundled or

unlimited phone calls (NOT voip but from my france telecom fixed line)

to both France and the UK, and some TV, all the better but the ISP is

my main priority. Having one bill for everything, and to have it work,

seems like a very far away dream.

My final problem, though not insurmountable, is that my verbal

French is poor. This is why I chose Teleconnect to begin with - for

their English technical help. I can order a baguette in a bakery no

problem - but ask me to talk about IP addresses and modems and I'm

lost.

However - if there is an ISP out there who can give me what I need,

I will overlook the fact that technical support could be tricky and

cross that bridge when I come to it. I am fairly savvy re the whole

home network thing so I could keep my fingers crossed.

Please can anyone help? I am losing the will to live! Many thanks in advance.

P.

Paula, from what you have told us I think you are going to have to end up paying more than normal for your "less than typical" set up.

All of the main ISPs offer an extra service for professionals. This may well be suitable for you. Static IP address is not necessarily a problem - some charge for it, others don't.

I am not sure about the hard wired VOIP business telephone system. Can you explain that more. What does this entail? 

I have the feeling that you are asking a lot (possibly too much) from the average ISP who basically just want to offer a fairly standard package. Because you have specific needs, it would be normal to discuss these with the ISP.

In your position, I would ask Orange to do everything. They will be able to cater for you but the language might well be the main problem though. You will have to read all the small print if you want to avoid any more misunderstandings like the Teleconnect preselection thing.

You can stop the Teleconnect without too much hassle if you haven't already. Can you go in to an FT shop and try to explain your needs. Or perhaps find a French friend who understands what you want. It is certainly easier than on the telephone.

Good luck

Danny

I'm sorry but I don't see what is so 'untypical' about your network setup although like Danny, I'm not sure what you mean by 'hard-wired VoIP business telephone system'.

I'm with Teleconnect and my system comprises their Tecom VOIP router

with to which I have connected an 8 port hub. In turn connected to this are 1 PC & 1 Laptop, 2 TiVo network enabled PVR's, a networked

printer and a NAS hard drive. Everything works perfectly. I don't know if they offer static IP's but I use DynDns for remote connection to the TiVo's and NAS unit.

Most if not all domestic ISP's will supply a box which you necessarily need to use to benefit from their VoIP services and I think it is unfair to criticise Teleconnect (or any other ISP) for refusing to support 3rd party hardware. If you must use your own modem then why not use Skype for VoIP, they do a package for €10.29/mth which gives you unlimited calls to landlines in 36 countries

worldwide.

[quote user="ErnieY"]I'm sorry but I don't see what is so 'untypical' about your network setup although like Danny, I'm not sure what you mean by 'hard-wired VoIP business telephone system'.

I'm with Teleconnect and my system comprises their Tecom VOIP router

with to which I have connected an 8 port hub. In turn connected to this are 1 PC & 1 Laptop, 2 TiVo network enabled PVR's, a networked

printer and a NAS hard drive. Everything works perfectly. I don't know if they offer static IP's but I use DynDns for remote connection to the TiVo's and NAS unit.

Most if not all domestic ISP's will supply a box which you necessarily need to use to benefit from their VoIP services and I think it is unfair to criticise Teleconnect (or any other ISP) for refusing to support 3rd party hardware. If you must use your own modem then why not use Skype for VoIP, they do a package for €10.29/mth which gives you unlimited calls to landlines in 36 countries

worldwide.

[/quote]

Thanks all.  I guess calling the phone system "hard wired" was unnecessary - all I meant by it is that it's plugged directly into the router rather than being anything bluetoothey or wireless. 

It was certainly a typical setup in the UK but both

Teleconnect and the Orange English-speaking helpline have been quite

unhelpful with the technical side of it. I realise that the Orange

helpline is not technical support but I was hoping for someone who

could at least sell me the right package I needed. I came across so

many Gaelic shrugs that I began believing that what I was asking for

was out of the ordinary. It's reassuring to know it isn't and that it's

probably just a case of finding the right person to talk to.

As for being harsh on Teleconnect for not supporting the hardware - I don't want them to.  I want them to support the connection.  In the UK I had several providers, all of whom were familiar with the router and whose technical support could always help. That hasn't been my experience with Teleconnect and my experience is all I have to go on.

Ooops, sorry.  Re the voip - I can't use Skype for the business side of things because the phone system connects to a UK company's VPN and I have to put callers on hold, transfer call, conference call that kind of thing.  It's at their request that I remain with the same system.

For domestic calls it's certainly cheaper than Orange and an option I'll investigate.  Thanks for the advice, Ernie.