Viewing items on eBay France

(No its not true about it mattering about the PC being English or French.  If you want to view French items, log into eBay France,  Germany eBay.de etc etc ......its quite simple.  eBay did change the rules about having stuff in the UK and USA seen on each other's sites and many sellers complained, that is now being addressed and should go back to the original arrangements of if available being seen.

I have just changed from Ebay UK to Ebay France and had to log in again to eBay France ............   Greyman are you doing that ?)  and the language is in French as you would expect and I can see all the cars/ camping cars in seraches etc  etc.)

EDIT  Apologies all round [8-)][blink]............ but cannot open any of them to bid, how ridiculous is that?????????  I am registered in France as a French user!!!!!!!

I suppose that you are getting the same message about restrictions in certain countries etc etc  in French?   I take back all  the above, how can one be restricted to bid and buy in France if you live in France [blink]

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Ron. I'm doing exactly that. Log in to www.ebay.fr and I even have a separate login name on that site (different from my UK login). I can see the list of cars etc but when I click on an individual car to see it's details I get the aforesaid error message. But when I view say, a camera, which takes PayPal I can see it (but not a camera which doesn't accept PayPal !).

Really puzzling that it works for some but not others.

The reason for the restricted access is a puzzle and appears only to apply to France in the EU.  Its now clear from looking at other categories that you can only view items oin ebay.fr offering Paypal, but that restriction does not apply to  non Paypal items on German Ebay  That is downright daft

Cheques are not a problem in France and are used far more often now than in the UK and nobody I have bought from waits for 10 days for the cheque to clear as they do in the UK, items are sent on receipt. How "it" knows that I am English is a mystery as I said I am registered in France but I do finance paypal via a UK credit card, so maybe that is the link that bars us??

[quote user="Ron Avery"]Because otherwise you would see thousands of items that will just not be sold to you.[/quote]Not necessarily, as I say even though a seller doesn't advertise international shipping as often as not if you ask they will do it. I once advertised a large and heavy piece of vintage electrical equipment (Wheatstone Bridge circa 15kg) on eBay UK and specified UK only because of the size/weight however it was sold to a buyer in Canada because he asked and was prepared to pay the transport cost.

[quote user="Ron Avery"]I think you missed this point in my post, you were in eBay.de so could see those items, if you were in eBay.fr or co.uk you would not see those items unless available to France or the UK[/quote]Yes, the items had shown up in eBay.de in a search on eBay.co.uk but  something has changed, I don't know when, because to see items in eBay.de now I have to specifically search either EU or Worldwide which I didn't have to previously, the fact that a seller had said EU or Worldwide was sufficient for eBay UK to display them.

[quote user="Ron Avery"]Its now clear from looking at other categories that you can only view items oin ebay.fr offering Paypal[/quote]Not so Ron, logged into my eBay.fr account at this instant and can see everything, paypal or not.

Greyman:

I searched for Skoda and the first hit is a Skoda Fabia diesel 1.9TDI 105 Sports 5portes @ €13,800, there is no Paypal option.

THIS is the link, what do you get ?

I get :

Cher membre,

Malheureusement, l'accès à cet objet a été bloqué en raison de restrictions légales en vigueur dans certains pays. Conformément à ces restrictions, nous nous efforçons de bloquer l'affichage des objets concernés. Nous regrettons de vous informer que pour des raisons techniques, certaines annonces ne rentrant pas dans le cadre de ces restrictions peuvent ne pas être accessibles aux utilisateurs. Nous vous prions d'accepter nos excuses pour tout désagrément et nous espérons que vous trouverez d'autres objets intéressants sur eBay.

Merci.

[quote user="ErnieY"][quote user="Ron Avery"]Its now clear from looking at other categories that you can only view items oin ebay.fr offering Paypal[/quote]Not so Ron, logged into my eBay.fr account at this instant and can see everything, paypal or not.

Greyman:

I searched for Skoda and the first hit is a Skoda Fabia diesel 1.9TDI 105 Sports 5portes @ €13,800, there is no Paypal option.

[/quote]

Cher membre,

Malheureusement, l'accès à cet objet a été bloqué en raison de restrictions légales en vigueur dans certains pays. Conformément à ces restrictions, nous nous efforçons de bloquer l'affichage des objets concernés. Nous regrettons de vous informer que pour des raisons techniques, certaines annonces ne rentrant pas dans le cadre de ces restrictions peuvent ne pas être accessibles aux utilisateurs. Nous vous prions d'accepter nos excuses pour tout désagrément et nous espérons que vous trouverez d'autres objets intéressants sur eBay.

Merci.

Ernie You must have something different in your log in that defines you as French, maybe all of us joined Ebay whilst in the UK and that is the "problem" b ut from what Greyman said these restrictions appear to apply to Swiss Ebay accounts as well.  Like Quillan I have asked Ebay France to explain this.

EDIT maybe this is a clue, the copy question came to my Email like this, but I was logged into Ebay France at the time.

To: ************ @wanadoo.fr

Sent: Thursday, August 28, 2008 12:05 PM

Subject: Suivre ses objets en vente

J'habite en France et j'emploie Ebay.fr mais maintenant je ne peux voir aucun les articles des vendeurs qui n'offrent pas paypal. Pourquoi est-ce que c'est ?

[quote user="ErnieY"][quote user="Ron Avery"]Its now clear from looking at other categories that you can only view items oin ebay.fr offering Paypal[/quote]Not so Ron, logged into my eBay.fr account at this instant and can see everything, paypal or not.

Greyman:

[/quote]

I just tried the link and got the message. It does say "raison de restrictions légales en vigueur dans certains pay" which implies that it is for legal reasons.

UPDATE - I have a reply from EBay. I don't think this will work but I am willing to give it a try.

Hello,

Thank you for writing to us. I understand that you were having problems
viewing items on eBay.fr.

I have checked our records and can confirm that your account is
currently in good standing, also, I assure you that there is no problem
with the system currently. From what you've said, it sounds like
clearing out your web browser's cache and cookies will solve the
problem. In case you've never heard these terms before, I'll give you a
quick explanation.

- "Cookies" are small files that websites you visit will store on your
computer.

- Your "cache" is the local storage where copies of images and web pages
are kept on your computer's hard disk (or in its memory).

eBay, like most websites, uses cookies. Sometimes, too many outdated
eBay cookies on your computer can cause you to have problems looking at
our site. So it is a good idea to delete them every so often. Please be
assured that this won't harm your computer.

When your cache gets full pages may load slowly or not at all. I've
included instructions below on how to clear your cookies and cache. This
should help correct the problems you're experiencing.

To delete your eBay cookies for Internet Explorer and Windows Users:

1. Go to your "Start" menu, found on your task bar
2. Select the "Search" or "Find" option, and "Files or Folders"
3. Type in Cookies in the search box and make sure that your hard drive
(usually C:) is selected in the "look in" field
4. Once it has pulled up the list of files and folders it has found,
find the folder named "Cookies" and double click it
5. Lastly, delete all the files that have the word "eBay" in them

To clear your cache in Internet Explorer please:

1. Close all open browsers
2. Click the "Start" button, and select "settings > Control Panel"
3. Choose "Internet Options"
4. On the "General" tab, click "Clear History"
5. When it asks "delete all items in your History folder?, click "OK"
6. Click "OK"

If you have an older version of Internet Explorer, then the directions
will be a little different. However, the clear cache option is usually
under the "Internet Options" section.

I trust that this information is helpful. If you have further questions,
please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Kind regards,

Susanne @@@@@@ (last name removed by me)
eBay Customer Support

[quote user="greyman"]I got all excited then Ron. Opened Firefox and tried the link expecting great things but still got the same message [:(][/quote]

Saves me trying then.

I have done what they recomended and still get the problem. I shall now email them back, with a copy of the message and a link to this thread and ask if they have any other ideas.