Setting up Sky box for first time

I would now try swoping the cables at the LNB and seeing if the weak signal moves. If the weak signal moves you have poor cables and or connections and should try remaking the connections at the F Plugs. If the weak signal does not move then you have either a poor LNB try replacing it, or a very marginal alignment problem.

Just been checking and find I can receive some channels but not BBC ITV C4 C5.....can get as I have said Sky 3 but also amongst others

Sc4

Zone Reality

Zone Thriller

Film 24

Info Tv  (ch 166)

BBC Alba

Red (ch180)

Ben (ch 184)

Nuts TV (ch 196)

Pulse (197)

Sky news (ch 501)

BBC news 24 (ch 503)

I think means the cabling from the box to the dish must  be OK...would you agree....could it be that LNB is not picking up all channels and is there any link with the one I am receiving.

No it does not rule out the cables but if when you swop the cables at the LNB end the problem stays with the same LNB that is moves cables then you know you have a problem with you have an LNB problem. If the problem stays with the same cable then you have a cable problem.

Alternatively look up the details of the channel you have on the Lingsat site and see if they are all Horizontal or Vertical.

This is looking like an alignment problem but without swopping the cables to check I would not start mving the dish or LNB.

The signal strength varies between transponders so a cable which is OK with a string signal may not be OK with a weak signal. 

[quote user="Anton Redman"]

No it does not rule out the cables but if when you swop the cables at the LNB end the problem stays with the same LNB that is moves cables then you know you have a problem with the LNB. If the problem stays with the same cable then you have a cable problem.

[/quote]

Have you swapped the cables yet as Anton correctly suggests? This would be the definitive test as to where the problem lies.