Sky tv in France.

I just turned on the box after a couple of months absence and was surprised to find that Ch 5 which used to be ok now gives me a message saying there's a problem with the card.  Other "free" channels inc 4 seem Ok - has there been a change recently?

Also, when you say a "using a Numerique/digital TV receiver" ,  do you mean the type of French off the shelf receiver? Sorry to be dense but I'm not a Sky user in the UK and have Sky box here that a friend gave me with an old blue card with a yellow house on it I bought several years ago, and only just found as a result of reading this that it doesn't seem to needed for the free channels!!

Steve L

Give the card some time (up to 48 hours) to sort itself out.   FIVE went free to air at the start of November and if your box has been off for all this time it may take a bit of time for the EPG to sort itself out.   You shouldn't need to have the card in at all (except for Sky 3) but some boxes seem to take comfort from a card in the slot.

If it doesn't sort itself out,   then come back and I or someone else will tell you how to get round the ch 5 (and sometimes ch 4) problem by doing an "add channels".

Any digital sat (DSat) receiver is now capable of tuning into all the BBC channels and all of ITV and ch 4 and ch 5,  as Anton says.  They are all now free to air..   Sky's shackles on these non-Sky channels have been cast off little by little,   and a good thing too. 

As for the OP,  it's much cheaper to get a friend in Britain to subscribe to Sky for you if you must have Sky-only (ie pay TV) channels.   That is if you can arrange it.

thanks for the advice, I just put the card back in and we'll see what happens.  Major problem got solved anyway: my wife is hooked on "Neighbours", now on Ch5, but was able to find a way to watch today's episode on YouTube! so that pressure is off!!

Cheers

Steve

My goodness,   you should have said that she-who-must-be-obeyed entered your equation!!.

Right,  I haven't got a Sky box hooked up at the moment,   but it's something like this:

Press Services,  choose Add Channels.

Enter the following info in the boxes

H

22000  (or 22)

5/6

(you use the < and > keys to change the parameters on lines 2 3 4)

Follow the instructions for a search

You should see ch 5 listed (it used to be called 6335 but I imagine it's called something helpful now) and tick that line to save it,  as per the on screen instructions.

Follow the instructions for a final save

Exit all that.

Now go back to Services,   choose Other Channels,  and you should see ch 5 saved in this new list.  Select it and follow the instructions.

If that doesn't work then send the wife round here!

If I've not quite described this correctly Anton will update no doubt,  it should be obvious with the box in front of you.

We got a Sky+HD box a couple of months back from http://www.skyinfrance.co.uk/  and a couple of weeks after the installation it went toes up. After a phone call it took nearly 20 minutes for the eng who had installed it to get to us, a Friday morning. The box had suffered an early life failure and because he didn't have an HD box in his van he left us with an ordinary Sky box for the weekend. At that time the Sky card had not arrived so the ordinary box was good. The following Tuesday we had our replacement HD box and it has been a goodie ever since. The card had arrived by that time and everything was set up for us and we were shown exactly how it all worked. That is what I call service from a legal company who really care about service![:D] They are not the cheapest you can find, but you get what you pay for and I for one think that good service is better than the bloke who charges less and who arrives to fit/service things on a horse!

In fact, when we first arrived here we were in a rented house with a French dish. Richard, Sky in France, sold me a French analog box for the princely sum of 20€ and offered to deliver it as well for that price. We were looking all over the place anyway and we went and collected it from his home near Revel, Tarn. We were made very welcome and given a cuppa too while we had a chat!

Thanks very much! Unfortunately I also discovered my remote is kaput as well, so can't find a way to access the services functions through the buttons on the front, but the suggestion of just leaving the card in to update seems to have worked now anyway, so problem solved I think.

Cheers!

Steve