telephone connection

Hi ya we are moving to France in 6 weeks time and our house has telephone wires to it but we are not connected. Can we get connected prior to our moving or do we have to wait until we are there. Also, we are on AOL here, can we transfer our account to AOL France or are there really good packages to be had. I am totally computor and technically illiterate so please treat me as an idiot. We are bringing our sky box so if we buy a Freesat card from sky will that be sufficient to get a range of UK programmes. Thanks for any help.

[quote user="Nearly Retired"]

(1) Our FT connection was all sorted before we moved in.

(2) Don't buy a new card for the sky box - just keep the old one. I believe it'll work just fine for you for all the non-subscription stuff especially BBC, ITV, Ch4 & 5.

[/quote]

Nearly Retired is correct provided you didn't tell them at Sky you were moving abroad. Usually they leave the card working for the free to view channels, this is just in case you want to take out a subscription in future. If that is the case you just give them a ring and they switch the card back on again, saves them the cost of providing a new card.

We also had our phone connected before moving in, the French estate agent did that for us.

[quote user="Owens88"]

France telecom may well connect you before you move. I got connected by doing everything from Britain

have a look at their website.

Good luck

John

[/quote]

Hello John, we have just bought a second home in France that previously had a telephone line connected, and would like to get it reconnected for us to use, and also to add internet broadband.  I'm sure our immobilier also told us that we could organise it all from the UK, but having just had a look at the France Telecom/Orange website I am baffled! 

Could you point me in the right direction please - what actually should I be looking for on their site in order to get the line changed over to us?  Thanks in advance for your advice.

Amanda

Hi ya thanks to everyone for there replies, I have telephoned FT from here in the UK on there English line and a very nice lady sorted everything out for me within 10 mins and even gave me my new telephone number. Also she quoted me on all the internet and phone call packages which I am now comparing.

Hi David

total confusion were my comparison results, I think I might just go with FT. I think she offered me everything from free phone calls to interent to tvfor about 29euros per month plus 16euros line rental. Teleconnect do similar for same price. Just had an email from friend in next village so I have asked her for advise and I am waiting for her reply. Will let you know.

Susie

[quote user="susie"]

Hi David

total confusion were my comparison results, I think I might just go with FT. I think she offered me everything from free phone calls to interent to tvfor about 29euros per month plus 16euros line rental. Teleconnect do similar for same price. Just had an email from friend in next village so I have asked her for advise and I am waiting for her reply. Will let you know.

Susie

[/quote]

Go for Teleconnect.

Thanks for that Susie.  I am trying to figure out my FT phone bill, and I seem to pay about 32 euros a month for line rental plus 3 hours calls in France.

I have received another offer from FT by post for what I think is 29 euros per month for line rental plus 3 hours calls to France and Europe fixed lines.  Could this be correct?

I also have an Orange internet connecion on top of that  for about 29 euros per month, so I would like to rationalise the bills, and hopefully reduce them.

Due to our position at the end of a 5 kilometer long above ground telephone line with many trees on route, we consider it essential to keep a FT fixed line, inclusive calls to Europe would be good, but we also need an internet connection.

After an appalling experience with Club Internet which became Neuf, I would not consider a cheap alternative supplier.

Will let you know how we do.

David

Hi David

As far as I recal, the girl on the FT English did say that the line rental is 16 euros per month plus 29 euros for  internet, calls to UK and France and something to do with the TV giving some English and French programmes. Not had a reply from my friend in next village yet to find out what she has done but I am hoping that 16 euros plus 29 euros will be my monthly cost. Although Jay did say use Teleconnect, I wonder what the advantage would be? It sounds to me as though you are paying twice for the same thing because I think  Orange is the internet connection in the package I was quoted, not additional as you have. Have a glass of wine, this is so confusing

Susie

Susie,

all the Orange tarifs here

16 euros line FT

29.90 internet + VOIP telephonie in France

3.00 rental livebox

7.00 VOIP calls - to international and 30 minutes to french mobiles if you want

total 55.90 euros a month

12 month contract

There are other options but that is the simplest if you want to go with Orange and want to keep the FT line

If you or David have any questions, just ask

Danny

Hi Danny

I think I said when I first started asking questions to treat me as doughnut of the day, but, what is the live box for and what exactly are voip calls. Sorry,I did say didnt I. Just had email from my friend and she is with Orange and on her bill is tva reduite and tva normale both at at same price , what ever they are, plus live box, anti virus, anti spam and giga mail.  I have just looked at orange web site and the basic package is on offer @ 19.90 plus 16 euros line rental, that sounds good doesnt it?

Susie

Hi Danny,

just had another thought, sorry, but as I am bringing my sky box with me, do I need to include the TV part of the packages on offer? I have a little French portable to watch the local news on etc.

Sorry, thanks again

Susie

Hi Susie

Livebox - the Orange modem /router through which you connect to the internet.

VOIP calls are telephone calls made through the internet rather than traditional calls through the phone socket. Most service proveiders in France offer inclusive 'free' calls with your broadband package. You plug the phone in to the livebox and dial as normal. If you want to get technical...

Livebox

VOIP

don't forget that the offer you mentioned is only 19.90 for a limited time, 3 months -  after that it is 29.90 a month plus the other costs - see my earlier post.

As for TV, there are many possibilities for receiving French channels - use the search button. There are lots of recent threads about the various options

Danny 

[quote user="susie"]

Hi Danny

I think I said when I first started asking questions to treat me as doughnut of the day, but, what is the live box for and what exactly are voip calls. Sorry,I did say didnt I. Just had email from my friend and she is with Orange and on her bill is tva reduite and tva normale both at at same price , what ever they are, plus live box, anti virus, anti spam and giga mail.  I have just looked at orange web site and the basic package is on offer @ 19.90 plus 16 euros line rental, that sounds good doesnt it?

Susie

[/quote]

Well said Susie, count me as a doughnut as well.  Another question, if you have the livebox package from Orange for internet access, does that mean that this is an Orange only package, or does the line rental for 16 euros include FT line rental?  Do you also have a line rental and call charges for fixed line France Telecom (FT)?

I now have an offer from FT for a new offer Optimale 3H for 29 euros per month.  This would give me, on the fixed line, 3 hours calls to fixed lines and mobiles in France and DOM, europe and USA.  "depuis votre ligne fixe vers les fixes et les mobiles de France metropolitaine, des DOM, d'Europe et d'Amerique du Nord".

I think this means that I could call mobiles and fixed lines in UK for no extra charge if they are for less than three hours per month.

This seems a good deal as I am already paying some 29 euros per month to FT for three hours calls to France only, as I was told that this was the minimum package available to have a fixed line.  This is of course in addition to the Orange internet connection for 32 euros per month with all you describe.

This is duplication and I wish there was an inclusive deal for an FT fixed line, plus orange internet, but they seem to act as separate companies.

I would be grateful Danny if you could clarify this difference between FT and Orange.  As I said before, I must have an FT fixed line, but I also need Orange internet access.

Susie, why pay Orange for antivirus?  Get AVG free!  Same for antispam and giga mail.

Unfortunately I will be off line from tomorrow morning for about ten days, so I will respond after that.

Thanks,

David.

[quote user="David"][quote user="susie"]

Hi Danny

Susie

[/quote]

Well said Susie, count me as a doughnut as well.  Another question, if you have the livebox package from Orange for internet access, does that mean that this is an Orange only package, or does the line rental for 16 euros include FT line rental?  Do you also have a line rental and call charges for fixed line France Telecom (FT)?

I now have an offer from FT for a new offer Optimale 3H for 29 euros per month.  This would give me, on the fixed line, 3 hours calls to fixed lines and mobiles in France and DOM, europe and USA.  "depuis votre ligne fixe vers les fixes et les mobiles de France metropolitaine, des DOM, d'Europe et d'Amerique du Nord".

I think this means that I could call mobiles and fixed lines in UK for no extra charge if they are for less than three hours per month.

This seems a good deal as I am already paying some 29 euros per month to FT for three hours calls to France only, as I was told that this was the minimum package available to have a fixed line.  This is of course in addition to the Orange internet connection for 32 euros per month with all you describe.

This is duplication and I wish there was an inclusive deal for an FT fixed line, plus orange internet, but they seem to act as separate companies.

I would be grateful Danny if you could clarify this difference between FT and Orange.  As I said before, I must have an FT fixed line, but I also need Orange internet access.

Susie, why pay Orange for antivirus?  Get AVG free!  Same for antispam and giga mail.

Unfortunately I will be off line from tomorrow morning for about ten days, so I will respond after that.

Thanks,

David.

[/quote]

Hi David

This is getting pretty complicated.... The FT call package you have are all for normal calls but the Orange internet calls are VOIP calls. That is the main difference.

You appear to be paying quite a lot. If I was in your shoes, I would ask for the FT line to be the simplest,  line only 'ligne seule' at 16 euros pm

I would take the Orange package at 29.90

if you add the livebox rental and inclusive international calls 3 + 7

this gives you free calls internationally (not everywhere!!!) and french mobiles 30 minutes a month.

total of 55.90 (+ first 3 months 10 euros off) per month

12 month subscription.

Go into an Orange shop if you can't do it on the phone or online.

You can also have TV included at the same price but that complicates matters even more!!

Danny

Hi Danny

I think you have totally sorted out the two doughnuts, me and David, I am almost clear now on what I want, so tomorrow I will telephone FT and get my internet package done. Thanks so much,    dont suppose you know anything about disinheriting your children do you..................................

Susie

[quote user="susie"]

Hi Danny

I think you have totally sorted out the two doughnuts, me and David, I am almost clear now on what I want, so tomorrow I will telephone FT and get my internet package done. Thanks so much,    dont suppose you know anything about disinheriting your children do you..................................

Susie

[/quote]

Have you thought what happens if you have a problem with your internet or phone connection? You will of course ring FT but remember they do not have an English speaking technical help line at present. The helpline that you have used so far is mainly for sales, and boy do they push!

Teleconnect have English speaking helpline, sales and technical. If you have a normal FT line then the Teleconnect service will cost you 29.90 a month which includes 2 hours of voip calls to the UK. For an additional 5 Euro you can have unlimited calls. Modem is free and you also get a very useful UK2U phone number which your friends in the UK can call you on. They will even take over you FT line if you prefer to report a problem in English, at a saving of about 1 Euro a month.

Worth considering