HD broadcasts for French TV

Is there a website that lists french HD broadcasts?

You can get to it by going into the TV listings pages for the various channels, but you really have to drill down to determine whether a particular broadcast is HD or not.

And should I be able to get more than Arte HD?

I'm sure I saw an ad the other day for a programme on FR2 in HD, but I never did track it down afterwards.

Thanks

David

Apart from Arte HD (and Canal + I think) which are available on all the TNT transmitters thus far equipped,  the terrestrial coverage of the multiplex (R5) that carries TF1/FR2/M6 in HD is limited,  as it only started back in the autumn and the national roll out takes time.

Toulouse Pic de Midi is broadcasting HD,  but Carcassonne Pic de Nore isn't.   Depending on where you are that's probably why you only have multiplexes R1/2/3/4/6 and not R5.

Although assuming you have a TNT HD box have you tried doing a rescan since the autumn.

Of course if you're on satellite HD on TF1/FR2/M6 is due to start soon but I don't think it's there yet,  and you need a Canalsat HD sub (I imagine) or a TNTparSat HD box of course.

Claire - Thank you! That's exactly what I was looking for.

Martin, I have Sagem 'TNT par satellite avec carte d'acces TNTSAT'  box (I don't subscribe to Canal+). What HD channels should I be able to receive? (I know I can get Arte HD - which is brilliant by the way!)

I live almost exactly midway between Toulouse and Carcassonne (near Revel)

Thank you

David

Well assuming you've got the HD box (which if you're getting Arte in HD you must have) then I would guess that TF1/FR2/M6 will appear imminently,  certainly the last I heard they were due on Astra 1 in February.

If I can find a definite date I'll report back.

Sorry about the red herring re the TNT terrestrial versions,   doesn't make any difference now I know you're on the sat feed.

Laters - I think it's possible that if one has Canalsat HD sub then one already has HD on at least France 2.    Quite why there has to be a delay on bringing HD to the TNTsat version of the same programme I'm not sure,  although they do use different encryptions for the two versions (Canalsat is Mediaguard (Seca) and TNTsat is Viaccess 3,  AFAIK).

Even laters - yes if you are paying the Canalsat sub then you would already have HD on those three channels.    As you aren't it should be coming very soon.

But why the delay -  I've no idea.    Lyngsat confirms that only Mediaguard is in use on those HD channels,  so a TNTsat box won't at the moment unscramble them.

• 2 weeks later...
So......

Given that the HD TNTparSat broadcasts were *scheduled* to start yesterday,  has anyone actually managed to get them to work?

Someone has asked the same question on a French satellite forum and no-one has replied,   so I'm beginning to wonder what (if anything!) is going on.....

(I ask because I only have the SD TNTparSat boxes)

Clair, there was talk of another TNT by satellite route (not AB or TNTSAT) being offered sometime on the way to the switch off of the analog signals. The general view seems to be that TNTSAT is restrictive and a bit expensive in the choice of box compared to other digital satellite boxes. I'm thinking of hanging on for a while before taking the plunge away from the little analog box we use here.

With that box, you will get all the TNT and HD tnt channels and radio at the astra satellite and the ability to record on to hard drive. Who knows what is going to happen after the card expires though?

I have read some things about the quality of the Sagem boxes too and advice being to choose other makes instead but maybe I got that mixed up. There is not a lot of choice of TNTSAT HD capable receivers though. Half the problem, I thinks.

Martin will  know better, I am sure...

Danny

Thanks for the input, Danny.

At the moment, our area does not offer TNT via the aerial, so although we are far from buying just yet, it's just a matter of keeping an eye on what is becoming available.

We have to include HD on any new material to enable HD reception when we come to change the TV.

I think it was the Strongs that had a bit of a question mark over them,  the remotes were very flaky.   I think there's a third brand around (Optex?) as of Christmas,   might be sold by Castorama...?

Danny is right,   the govt has mooted the idea that it wants yet another satellite carriage opf TNT to be "freely" available,  at the same time I (and French experts who know more than I do) wonder whether the govt have thought it through,   because "freely available" conflicts with those oh-so-precious rights issues,   particularly on the sats currently used by France (ie Astra 1 and Atlantic Bird 3,  which have quasi-pan-European coverage).    The cynical in us thinks that the idea may be forgotten,   but it's sensible to hang on until we know one way or another.

Clair - you might just find that you have *some* TNT reception -  at least of France Televisions.    La Bastide Haut Mont apparently is carrying multiplex R1 unofficially as a feed for some of the relays that require the "wrong" regional edition of France 3;   I'm not for a minute suggesting you go out and buy a box,  far from it,   but if you or someone in the area has a spare box lying around it might be worth a try.    But it would just be 2/3/5/Arte/Parliament so it's probably just not worth it.