Help!Dell returns laptop from 2nd fix , ahhh its empty

Well not quite , Vista is still there !. Yet again Dell has tried to fix nearly new laptop ,last time they did not empty hard drive , this time apart from Vista home premium all has gone, please could someone be kind enough to write me (and others) a check list to load . Am I on the right track that I should be loading -freebies , antivirus, anti spam, anti malware , windows defender , Firewall is on. A Defragger??? Anything else can u think. Is there a good free prog like photo suite u could recommend ,please.

What I cant get my head around is -yes, before it went I saved on a thumb drive all my word 2007 documents then deleated all documents and emptied  bin on the laptop.

Now because Office Word 2007 programme has gone, (and all other software like photo suite -sigh!) will it still open my saved documents of word on my thumb drive.?

Sadly I cant re load Office Word 2007 as I do not have the software ( long story but all my software went back to UK and was lost).

I have Office Word on my XP Tower, so I can get access there . I am awaiting arrival of Accronis software- would I be able to cloan Office from the tower using accronis? then load onto laptop?[8-)] Not a happy bunny, fraught could be a good word[:-))] Milkey

Hi,

Unless you saved your Word 2007 documents in Word 97-03 (.doc) format you won't be able to open them in an earlier version unless you download and install Microsoft's 'Office Compatibility Pack' see link below:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=941B3470-3AE9-4AEE-8F43-C6BB74CD1466&displaylang=en

As for the Freebies try http://www.download.com/windows/  apart from the Anti-Virus and other security software, you will find free photo editing software such as IrfanView and Paint.net to name but two.

Best of Luck with re-building your Programme portfolio.

Regards

[quote user="milkeybar kid"]

What I cant get my head around is -yes, before it went I saved on a thumb drive all my word 2007 documents then deleated all documents and emptied  bin on the laptop.

Now because Office Word 2007 programme has gone, (and all other software like photo suite -sigh!) will it still open my saved documents of word on my thumb drive.?

[/quote]

You could download 'OpenOffice Suite' http://www.openoffice.org, its better than Word and is free forever.....just set the default 'save' to .doc and you can continue to create files that Word will open.

Thank you everyone especially about the free "Office " . I will also follow -Protecting your computer "sticky" (above by Will), found this great site http://c4lpt.co.uk/Directory/ . 

Has anyone used "Acronis". I had understood this was the best thing since sliced bread for copying/ cloning the software that is inside computer should you need to recover all lost data.? [:D]Milkey

Free Software:

Anti-virus:

AVG Free 8.0: http://free.avg.com/download?prd=afe

Avast: http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html (needs to be registered after 60 days)

Firewall

Comodo: http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/download_firewall.html (turn widows firewall off, or your pc will slow down).

Office Suite

OpenOffice.org: http://download.openoffice.org/index.html

Picture Organizing

Picasa 3: http://picasa.google.com/

PC to PC Phone calls

Skype: http://www.skype.com/intl/en-gb/download/skype/windows/ (need microphone)

Simple Photo Manipulation:

Irfanview: http://www.irfanview.com/

PDF Reader

Adobe Acrobat: http://get.adobe.com/reader/

These should get you going.

Whereabouts are you Milkybarkid? I am in 56, and have software that can recover most things, most of the time, even from formatted disks.

Wow, thank you Clarksinfrance. We are in 47. I must admit to feeling a bit pleased at having got so far (with everyones help) in putting things on laptop. I feel like its brand new again and if I can do this once it will give me confidence in case I should have to clear system. Daft thing cos it was only bought in June 2008 at PC World still under warranty , the faults are all hardware - intergrated webcam, microphone and USB ports , Dell France have been wonderful in there collection of it twice . I also have the tower (6 years old) a Dell sadly I would not buy another Dell. When I bought the troublesome laptop in UK a computer friend (computers are his main buisness not a hobby!!) loaded all for me as an early Christmas present , hence why I have not a clue as to what to do !!! The laptop was supposed to be a backup for when tower dies of old age!!!! This forum is brill- the best-thankyou. [:D]

Once you have it set up to your satisfaction then is the time use Acronis or similar to make an image of the HD. That way next time you have major problems in under 30 minutes you can be back to where you were.

The real idea is to make regular images, say once a month, because you don't always want to go back all the way to as it was 'out of the box' [;-)]

Flippin heck!!! **** Dell, I spend 2 days re doing all anti virus etc etc before I check if webcam and microphone problems are fixed.This is the 2nd new intergrated webcam/ microphone that has been replaced - well, so the service sheet says - it also says it has had prolonged check.

Horror, yes the webcam is working but they forgot to put back microphone it just does nor exist. Stigma Tel was the microphone software before. I have 100% checked all related places where I used to see microphone/ recording changes - all that exists now is "Line in", so do you think they have put a webcam in that simply does not have a microphone or they have just forgotten to install the software.

Either way they have lied when they say they have given it a test cos if there is no microphone they cant have tested it .

Looking up stigma Tel on google it seems there are issues with Service pack1 and all audio related bits- would anyone advise removing service pack1 which of course I installed because laptop was empty. I am so fed up. Milkey .Thanks in advance.

Hello Clarkinfrance,this is very kind of you. Inspiron 1720 Hell oops Dell!!.Yes, the tiny hole is all there as before but  "I can only presume its the software that they have failed to put in because what was there once before was "Stigma Tel" now  missing and also microphone window that should show options on choice of line in or internal microphone only shows icon of line in . Not only but also any attempt to activate webcam shuts down the whole computer with a blue screen white writing that says an error has occured etc etc and to safe guard the computer from damage it is shutting down, which it does and then re starts. I have gone to the diagnostics in vista and it states the error number and loads of bumf  =

Compatability issue between this version of windows & your wireless network card which was created ny Dell Inc. Dell Wireless 1395 WLAN mini card. Could not find driver.

Windows detected new device no driver found. PCI\VEN_ 14E4&DEV_4315&SUBSYS_000B1028&REV_01

Problem signature - Event name PnP Driver not found. Architecture  -by 86 Bucket ID 78000567

Am I right in thinking once the driver is in it will also activate the microphone and of course the webcam. I feel that whoever does repairs for Dell must have fibbed about a prolongued test cos its not active to flippin well test. Dell have been good at replying to all emails and collecting laptop as its under warranty (not had it 12 months) . Have I a right to ask for replacement do you think? Webcam from day one was sensetive to movement but to be honest I thought that was normal but it just kept going from bad to worse .Thanks again. Milkey

Clarksinfrance , please find email I sent.

Laptop will go back to Dell for third time . Independant company has checked all and confirms in writing for me  that there must be a break in the cable as fault can be forced by moving the lid , I have told Dell in all e mails that this happens so I am hoping they will take notice now we have had it independantly tested!!! (not a connection fault as thats been checked).

Can you believe it that when I asked (before info from Clarksinfrance on drivers) Dell for help as regards drivers they sent me to the autosupport , I filled in problem report and the only reply I got from them was to fill in a survey on how good they were or not, in fact they have sent 2 requests but no flippin reply to my help query.

Whilst at independant company they advised me to put XP on instead of Vista  as I would have less issues in the future - trouble is now the wireless automatic searcher on laptop cant find the wireless signal. Should it make any difference now its on XP rather than Vista?Groan [:(]

The bottom line is that it is PC World's responsibiliy. They may advise you to go direct to the manufacturer which can save time but they cannot force you to and does not absolve them of ultimate responsibility.

If the problems have been there since the beginning or appeared within the first 6 months then you would have had the right to reject it but that will have been diluted by accepting repeated repairs.

Obviously dealing with PC World from France introduces a whole new layer of grief so unless you plan to be back in UK fairly soon to stamp your feet and bank on their counter then you are probably best off as you are.

The best of two poor options unfortunately [:(]

Sorry to hear of your woes.

Just for anybody considering buying a laptop, having been unimpressed with PC World in the past I got my current one (a Fujitsu Siemens) from Staples. It developed a minor keyboard problem in France, near the end of the warranty. Fujitsu Siemens in UK were quite happy for me to either wait until I was in England for it to go back, or for me to send it to their French operation. I choose the former option; it was collected from our house, and returned a few days later fully working, at no cost whatever. All phone calls were to courteous, knowledgeable people who spoke proper English (or French) rather than a remote call centre. They had recommended backing up all files (which I had done anyway) but as it happened nothing whatsoever was lost.

Far, far, better than my experiences previously with HP and PC World/Currys. Well done FS.

[quote user="milkeybar kid"]

Whilst at independant company they advised me to put XP on instead of Vista  as I would have less issues in the future - trouble is now the wireless automatic searcher on laptop cant find the wireless signal. Should it make any difference now its on XP rather than Vista?Groan [:(]

[/quote]

I don't know which 'Independant Company' you used but they  are talking through their hat (more polite word than the one I wanted to use)  Changing to XP is a backward step and will make no difference whatsoever.  Your problem is not caused by software (apart from PC World removing all your programmes) but hardware.  As ErnieY states it is the responsibility of PC World who sold the laptop to rectify your problems, not Dell the manufacturers.

Hello there Milky...

You should have bought a neat compact 1525 like mine instead of that big useless 'slab' you've ended up with....[:P]

Tel's right - .  XP does have some advantages for certain more complex software/setups, but Vista is perfectly OK for normal use.

PS:  Just to forestall the 'why do people post insulting responses' - MBK and me are mates....

Yes, big mistake XP. I have disks that came with laptop it says "Operating system" Windows Vista "Home Premium" 32 bit. If I take this back to fix it shop thats all I need to get Vista back- yes? ????

Also after having received this from Dell  ( thats after laptop having been back to Dell techies twice , with same problem as when it went!!)  ------

Afin de resoudre efficacement ce probleme je vous invite a prendre contact avec notre support Technique par telephone sur le : 09 69 39 00 30 qui pourrons acceder a votre ordinateur a distance et verifier ce qui se passe exactement.

Je reste a votre disposition pour tout complement d information

The French computer shop will do this for me as I fear that moi who cant even comminicate at the bread shop even though I try so hard I end up doing charades - well ,I am not going to stand much of a chance speaking with Dell . Fingers crossed that is the Vista Disk - yes????

Do I wish a tree had fallen on laptop in the storm!! Yes!![:D]