Taking a laptop to France

[quote user="partout"]Hi Suein56

Can you advise how one goes about getting an FT landline and Orange adsl on a residence secondaire contract, I have looked at the site and my old eyes have not found this is info, husband says if we can get this sorted we could spend 5-6weeks doing work in and around the house, whilst he can still be in contact with the outside world....
[/quote]

I'm not quite clear about your question.  Do you have an existing FT ligne fixe contract that you want to change to residence secondaire or do you need to start from scratch?

If the former, I'd call FT (via the English-speaking helpline if your French isn't quite up to the other).

If the latter, this link may help for starting the residence secondaire service.  (Just in case the link doesn't work for you, I found it by typing "ligne fixe residence secondaire" into the search box at the top of the FT page.)

Please note that when you start service, it may take a week or so for FT to have your ligne fixe up and running (especially if they have to run a new wire).  In my experience (and regardless of what the FT reps say) it ALWAYS takes Orange 2 weeks to get the ADSL going.

Hi Suein 56 and Clair

Thank you for both replies.

Sue the house had a telephone line and adsl when we purchased it a couple of years ago, we never took over the line, so we believe that the line is still there just needs to be recognised, so to speak with a new tel number, we knew about the FT tel line for secondaire but not about the ADSL  for secondaire, with so much work tobe done, the last thing we needed at the time was the interruption of phones and emails, but now, things have taken a leap forward and it would be very very useful. Thank you for your help, this now gives us the opportunity of spending a longer time at our home.

Clair, thank you for clarifying the Orange website, my french is good but I missed the section on ADSL,  I really must invest in a new pair of specs.

Thanks

liz

partout, like you we bought a house that already had a line connected but which hadn't been used for some time. When we went to FT to see about getting it reconnected, in order to track it all down on their computer they needed to know the name that the line had been registered in, which in our case was the person we bought the house from. Of course we'd forgotten so we had to go away and find out and then go back. So it would be worth making sure you have this bit of information to hand when you contact FT.