Au Revoir, ESPN America!

On Super Bowl Sunday, the Canal Satellite channel North

American Sports Network (NASN) completed its conversion to ESPN America

(it was essentially ESPN anyway). That was the beginning of the end.

Yesterday, I learned that ESPN America has now 'disparu' from Canal

Sat's offerings. Au Revoir ESPN America, I hardly knew you.

As

an American ex-pat living in France, the channel was my only means of

watching my dearly beloved American sports - football, college hoops,

baseball (OK, true, I subscribe to mlb online for the latter). The

Canal Sat rep tried to explain over the phone that I am still receiving

ESPN - ESPN Classic, that is. I didn't bother to inform her of the

relative merits of watching a real-time baseball game to a 30-year-old

rugby match.

Please, if you are a subscriber like me, contact

Canal Sat and complain. Threaten to stop your subscription. Demand a

return to

sports sanity in this arid land of soccer, rugby, and (dear god) handball!

Have you thought about installing Sky instead? I know they show American football and other American sports but not sure about the ESPN channel,  but they do have extra Sport channels you can subscribe to. You are meant to have a UK address but there are Sky installers that advertise in the English speaking papers and magazines that can offer you installations and services in France.

Perhaps it would be worth a chat to one to see what is available.

[quote user="Mortstiff"]On Super Bowl Sunday, the Canal Satellite channel North American Sports Network (NASN) completed its conversion to ESPN America (it was essentially ESPN anyway). That was the beginning of the end. Yesterday, I learned that ESPN America has now 'disparu' from Canal Sat's offerings. Au Revoir ESPN America, I hardly knew you.

As an American ex-pat living in France, the channel was my only means of watching my dearly beloved American sports - football, college hoops, baseball (OK, true, I subscribe to mlb online for the latter). The Canal Sat rep tried to explain over the phone that I am still receiving ESPN - ESPN Classic, that is. I didn't bother to inform her of the relative merits of watching a real-time baseball game to a 30-year-old rugby match.

Please, if you are a subscriber like me, contact Canal Sat and complain. Threaten to stop your subscription. Demand a return to
sports sanity in this arid land of soccer, rugby, and (dear god) handball!
[/quote]

It's called football, because it is played with the feet (unlike gridiron) [;-)]

[quote user="Mortstiff"]I didn't know Sky was an option in France.
[/quote]

Yes it is available. I don't think anything other than the free channels are meant to be offered but many if not most have them. If you have access to perhaps a Connexion newspaper, an English newspaper written about France and even the Living France magazine and others. There are advertisements listed in them for people that install Sky satellites and provide Sky boxes.

Edit: Beware, once you start watching English television, there is no going back! [:D]

[quote user="WJT"]

[/quote]

Edit: Beware, once you start watching English television, there is no going back! [:D]

[/quote]

Gee, thanks for the warning.  The French give true meaning to the term 'idiot box.'

[quote user="Mortstiff"][quote user="WJT"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Gee, thanks for the warning.  The French give true meaning to the term 'idiot box.'
[/quote]

I was referring to American television! [:D]

By the way, I am American. [:)]

I would actually pay to not see cricket on TV!  But to each his own.  If you're a fan of cricket, I

would recommend a book I'm currently reading called Netherland by Joseph O'Neill.

It doesn't matter if we're talking American, French, or British TV, whichever companies are

offering the cable or satellite systems are the same all over - completely incompetent ripoff artists.

After spending my time today posting on the French forum sites

about ESPN, and also

doing some investigating about the possibility of getting

Sky's satellite in France, tonight, before

dinner,

I turn on the TV and there is ESPN America, coming in loud and clear,

along with all the other sports

channels that had been off.  So after a good

10 days without it, and after having Canal Sat. tell me directly

that ESPN is

gone, here it is again.  I'm telling you, these people don't have a clue. 

But it wouldn't surprise

me at any time to see it gone again, for good.  It's not like they'll ever warn us

or offer any

explanation.  They probably don't even know they're providing the channel.

If you come to live in Paris, beware Canal Satellite!

Well happy to hear it's back on at the moment anyway You may even be the reason!

I wasn't aware you were located in Paris, you may have found it difficult to have a Sky satellite installed there, but I don't know. Most of us here are country bumpkins.[:)]

Well, as I wrote, I did some checking today.  There are companies in Paris that offer it and will even take care of the

problem of not having a UK address in case you want a subscription.  I received the prices from one company, and let

me tell you, it would just be cheaper to buy my own TV station!