Seriously Techy (Tequy?) question

Big computer problem - well it's big for me - so I must ask the techies for help:-

I've got an Asrock K7S41 mobo with a Duron 1300 processor and 1400 mbs RAM running WinXP Pro SP3, the machine has just the regular stuff with no cards currently or previously installed. I'm trying to instal a Radeon M9200 128mb PCI video card (with no independent power supply) but after bunging it in when I turn the machine on all I get is a black screen, it doesn't matter if the monitor is plugged into the new or old socket or if the card is in the alternative PCI socket (there are just 2). The same thing happens when I try and put in a Soundblaster sound card or an Xpert Vstream video capture card (both of which worked with my previous mobo) Should I instal the drivers/software first or do I need to change any BIOS settings before I instal the card? Can anyone help please?
Thanks

Crumbs I have no idea - I have my own problems I went to Lidl and they had a hands free kit for a motorcycle - so I bought one.

It didn't take long to fit and I didn't even need to read the instructions.

I set off real smug and what do you know the very first bend with hands free technology I fell off!

It happened every bend thereafter - I am going back to Lidl and want my money back - hands free my farce.

If plugging in any expansion card blanks your screen you have a serious fault somewhere. Most likely on the mother board, but possibly in the power supply. It it were only the Radeon then I'd suspect an installation error -- maybe drivers, probably selecting the card via hardware or the BIOS.

Sounds like a trip to a computer service guy is in order. It's obviously an old mobo and that Radeon isn't exactly state of the art, so I assume there aren't any guarantees involved.

Why do you want to install such an old video card anyway?

That's a depressing response Albert! (but thanks anyway)

The mobo is about a year old and was installed by a local shop that has since gone belly up and the video card (an attempt to get a better Skype picture) is brand new. The other cards are pretty old so I kind of expected problems with them. What sort of power supply problems?

Something is wrong here.

[quote user="Deauville"]or if the card is in the alternative PCI socket (there are just 2)[/quote]

The Radeon M9200 is an AGP card and the Asrok MOBO has one single AGP slot yet you talk of trying it in both PCI slots [:-))]

Drivers should not be an issue because without them the card should default to VGA 800 x 600 but what will very likely make a difference is the BIOS, I'm pretty sure you will need to tell it to use the card instead of it's own onboard video. The two will almost certainly not co-exist.

And BTW the limiting factor for Skype video quality is more likely to be your camera and/or ADSL speed than anything else.

I need to take issue with a couple of responses. I'm not quite as dumb as you think even if I have chosen PCI over AGP - there are two PCI slots as well as the AGP on the mobo. PLUS if you take the time to read my question properly you'll see that the vid card has no n need for power.

But thanks all the same

Personally I don't think you're dumb. I didn't know it was still possible to buy PCI graphics cards so I trusted the info from elsewhere.

My comment about it possibly being a power supply issue was because the PCI slots provide the power to the cards that go in them. It is possible that by adding a card to one of the PCI slots you are overloading one or more of the PSU's outputs. A healthy PSU should not cause this problem but a borderline faulty one might.

As you are also having this problem with a sound card, according to your original post, it clearly means that the problem is not directly related to the video card or its drivers. Unless it is a very weird set of interactions that leaves the mother board or the PSU.

I don't think anybody accused you of being dumb did they ?

I Googled the Radeon card and it clearly says it's AGP but I see now that there is also a PCI version so apologies for missing that.

Despite what store you place in the fact that a card does not require external or additional power the fact that it doesn't does not of itself mean that it is not an AGP device so that 'clue' is not really a clue at all.

As Albert says then, if you are having similar symptoms from a sound card it is highly suggestive of an underlying MOBO or PSU problem.

My suggestion would be to remove all cards and disconnect everything, hard drives, CD-Roms etc, then startup with just a monitor and keyboard connected when you should still get the POST message and be able to get into the BIOS etc. proving at least that MOBO and onboard video are functioning. Follow that by fitting just the video card and telling the BIOS to use it if there is such an option.

Good idea about disconnecting and starting with a stripped out system but I don't feel like going down that route just yet. I have however been poking around in the BIOS and, although there is no facility to control the onboard graphics, there is an option to enable 'PCI devices power on' and I'm wondering if that would be the way to go. BTW the idea of installing the graphics card was suggested on another forum site but, even if it doesn't improve things, I still need to re-instal the old video capture card if at al possible