Becoming more and more convinced (as I am) that AVG 8 is causing real problems for all the computers (XP) that I use,   I am trying to remove it from the one I'm currently using in order to benefit from the operating speed increase that has been bestowed on the others by replacing AVG 8 with Avast.

However,  AVG won't let me remove it.    Having now also attempted the mise a jour required by a six month absence the problem seems to be related to the fact that there is a

"invalid binary update file"  when I try to update,   and I'm assuming this is what's also stopping me doing an uninstall  (I get an "uninstall failed" message when I try)

Increasingly I just want to be shot of this slow and now faulty software.   I can't even delete the AVG folder from Program Files (I like the adrenalin rush of doing it that way,  I know it's a bit dodgy) but a .dll squeals when I try that.

Help PLEASE!

I went through the repair routine (by starting the re-installation process) and whilst more error messages appeared I am now shot of the software.

I do hope AVG slim down their anti-virus suite as hitherto I have been happy with (and thankful for) their free software.

[quote user="Will"]The current AVG free version is 8.5, and this seems considerably better - at least on our old French machine.[/quote]

I held out until the deadline they kept giving me (12th April) to update to the 8.5.  Did it yesterday and although it took a couple of hours everything seems to be OK today if not somewhat quicker than when on the older version.  Does it give the same cover? Regards Hester. 

I have to say I tend to agree. Ever since being forced to update to v8 I'd noticed that it definitely slowed my laptop startup considerably. This hadn't bothered me too much as I habitually use hibernate and probably only actually reboot once or twice a week but having just installed 8.5 it does seem to be considerably nippier at boot up.

Well my machine is transformed - as have been the others - with the removal of AVG 8.

One machine was afflicted with slow start up,   the others simply seem to take a long time to do anything - eg start Mozilla,  Open Windows Explorer,  create a new folder - whatever.

They've all significantly improved since ditching AVG 8.

I will eventually try 8.5 but for the moment I'm with Avast.

Thanks again for the tip ErnieY.