Slow internet I.E.8

I have a six month old Acer running Vista, I daily run,

CCleaner, Advance System care, Ultimate DeFrag and the disc clean up, took Norton and another Symantics programme off the day I got it, the anti virus/anti spyware programme that came with my Wi Fi (Virgin, and my lap top only goes on line in the UK) is brilliant. With Firefox quick, with IE8, slow, sorry, but that's the way it is, although I have been lead to believe that as I have Itunes (which updates a browser plu in every time it updates) there may be a conflict there, either way, I just don't use IE..............

"Incidentally if Mr Gates products were so wonderful they wouldn't be scattering file fragments all over the HD like a mad womans ***** in the first place "

miaow Errnie!!!

All OSes suffer from fragmentation problems. If the disk is chock full and heavily used performance will start to suffer. BUT I don't normally bother defragging my Windows systems because mostly any performance improvement is very small, I just try and make sure that my C: drive has plenty of free space.

[quote user="ErnieY"]   Thank you for the lesson ......... [/quote] There is no need to appear condescending!

[quote user="ErnieY"] For a comparison of before and after HD performance THIS site is interesting, particularly post#4, where the following results are recorded. [/quote]

I'm sorry but I don't see the point of a link to a discussion group on the pros & cons of a piece of commercial software, and which is still in its beta version stage!

It doesn't take a great deal of savvy to google a result which suits your argument.  

[quote user="ErnieY"]Incidentally if Mr Gates products were so wonderful they wouldn't be scattering file fragments all over the HD like a mad womans ***** in the first place [;-)][/quote]

I see jyvais has offered comment. Perhaps you need to do a bit more googling to enhance your own computer knowledge! [geek]

[quote user="f1steveuk"]I have a six month old Acer running Vista, I daily run,

CCleaner, Advance System care, Ultimate DeFrag and the disc clean up, took Norton and another Symantics programme off the day I got it .......
[/quote]

May sound a silly question, but did you only use the uninstall option to remove Norton & Symantics?

Oh no! I got right inside (in a virtual sense!) and removed the Symantics programmes. Even then, when I made the "invisible" files, "visible" there was still some stuff left on it, which I got rid of as well.

The Itunes browser plug in is the same, but I can't help but think anything Apple/MS is going to conflict!!

In summary, I stay with what I like, and what works!!

As I was the original poster for this subject, I can honestly say that after doing what ErnieY suggested ....."try emptying your temporary files folder"..........  it has speeded my PC up no end so thanks ErnieY, not IE8's fault at all. Still may try Firefox sometime but as of now (hopefully) problems solved.

tuppence

Last time I deleted cookies, it took all my passwords off at the same time. Couldn't access bank accounts or Living France[6] until I had contacted both of the providers. And I only selected the cookies I wanted to delete NOT the passwords one.

tuppence

[quote user="tuppence"]

Last time I deleted cookies, it took all my passwords off at the same time. Couldn't access bank accounts or Living France[6] until I had contacted both of the providers. And I only selected the cookies I wanted to delete NOT the passwords one.

tuppence

[/quote]

Why not try CCleaner it will remove all temporary cookies every time you open up your computer, you can also choose the cookies you do not want to remove so this will prevent any lose of passwords.  I have been using this cleaner for a few years now and would not be without it. I know there are a number of people on this site who also use it.

http://www.ccleaner.com/

Baz

CCleaner is one I listed earlier (the C stands for "crap" and that's exactly what it removes!

Advance Systen Care is available as a free download, and even the free one has some very good cleaning/tweeking facilities, well worth a try.