Free Internet Security Downloads

Nationwide is currently encouraging its customers to have a free on line scan of their computer to check whether the security is up to scratch. Similarly HSBC is offering free McAfee internet security software. I would appreciate comments from anyone who has taken advantage of these free downloads. We currently have Norton on the PC, and McAfee on a netbook which has expired at the end of the 3 month free trial period. We only use the netbook when travelling so its not too critical at the moment.

It appears that in order to do the free scan, or download the full package on line you must disable your existing antivirus/phishing/anti spyware etc which presumably leaves you vulnerable until the scan is completed or new sotware is downloaded? I'm thinking I may be better off actually paying for a software package that comes with a cd and licences up to 3 computers. Any comments would be much appreciated.

Peter 

[quote user="seb47"]

Nationwide is currently encouraging its customers to have a free on line scan of their computer to check whether the security is up to scratch.

It appears that in order to do the free scan, or download the full package on line you must disable your existing antivirus/phishing/anti spyware etc which presumably leaves you vulnerable until the scan is completed or new sotware is downloaded? Peter 

[/quote]

That'll be Nationwide Nigeria then [;-)]

[quote user="seb47"]It appears that in order to do the free scan, or download the full package on line you must disable your existing antivirus/phishing/anti spyware etc which presumably leaves you vulnerable until the scan is completed or new sotware is downloaded? I'm thinking I may be better off actually paying for a software package that comes with a cd and licences up to 3 computers. Any comments would be much appreciated.[/quote]

As I understand it; you can download a new anti-virus

program while another is working but you need to disable or delete any

existing program before installing a new one.  You do not need

to be connected to the internet while you install. Usually, at the end

of installation, there is a period of updating. For this you need to be

connected again... thus there are windows for

viruses to get in. To reduce the risk you would not download e-mails or

connect to any other websites until the virus patterns have fully

updated.

I use Trend Micro (and pay for the 3 machine license).  There's a free security scan available on their website called HouseCall

Thank you all for the replies so far.

AnOther, Do you mean the Nationwide and HSBC offers? If so you have to have accounts with them, and when you log on you see the latest newsletter (in the case of Naionwide) or in the case of HSBC there is a link to McAfee's website to download VirusScan Plus.Nationwide provide links to various sites that offer a free scan and trial downloads.

Peter 

AVG is great, but it seems to be getting bigger, fatter and more prominent on my computer. It seems to be becoming a bit bloated by it's success. It now interfers with my wifi connections and loves turning them to local instead of internet.Very infuriating.

[quote user="AnOther"][quote user="baypond"]It now interfers with my wifi connections and loves turning them to local instead of internet[/quote]Don't understand what that means [8-)]

[/quote]

Neither do I !

On my version of AVG, there is a new icon called 'ID' and it seems to interfere with my wifi lap top connection via livebox (in the UK its fine). I have to turn the firewall and/or ID off to connect, and after connection I turn them back on. I can't seem to find where to get ID or firewall to accept the livebox connection any other way. If I dont do this, the connection doesn't work and in the wireless connection icon (bottom LHS of start bar) it says local connection only.

My old version of AVG never caused this problem.