Is is possible to split the  satellite cable to feed both the feeds on a sky plus box? so i could record one side and watch another.

I do have a 4 way LMB but it means running another cable in and as its over 60 mts to my dish, i was hoping to cheat.

cheers

nichthewood

The guys who installed sky in my house spilt the signal into 3, I can watch it on 3 different boxes in 3 different rooms but I can only record in 1 room.  Otherwise I'd have cables trailing everywhere, sky+ needs 2 cables plus a perfect 2nd feed, it took us about 2 weeks to tweek it and get the system working to it's full potential.  Good luck!

I have just cobbled together 2 cables - 1. Connected up and .............................. all seems to work fine. programed record and it started  on time while i watched another side.

Greeeeeeeeeeeeeat.

cheers  for you help

nich

• 4 months later...
All was working fine until we had a lightening strike very close by about 6 weeks ago. Surged killed off loads of electrical things.

Well we are over that now.

Can anyone tell me how long sky send the "Kill" signal after a plus box subscription is cancelled? I think that was what saved my box last time as it was removed and stored "before" the contract was cancelled and it was a couple of months later before it was used again. I am looking to do the same again, so fingers crossed.

the box sends a voltage to the receiving head depending on the polarisation of the channel selected (horizontal or vertical) so if you simpy split the signal 1. it gets much weaker 2. it will only receive the type of channels set by the primary box (it's marked on the splitter which one has control) Sky plus need a dual -feed head (in fact with the sky plus box you get a 4-feed head included) and you need to run two cables to get the full range of channels to record while watching others, as the two may be different polarisations. (just use plastic cable ties to tie the second cable to the first)

to anyone thinking about Sky (or with Sky), take a look at Freesat - the Humax FoxsatHD box is a brilliant box, the interface is much better than Sky (cost about £125 in Comet, Curry's etc) (BTW don't buy a separate HDMI lead, they are all there with the box, they sell them up to £70 - and they are no better than a £7 one - it's a scam) No subscription - all channels are free (all UK terrestrial channels plus BBC 3 and 4, ITV 2 and 3 etc etc) plus the 'red button'. signal is from same satellites (Astra 28.2E) as Sky, so no change needed. They also do a recorder version.

you can google 'Freesat' and 'Humax' to find out more.