2nd phone line - cost ?

[quote user="BJSLIV"]

My thinking was.....

Free only have a single offer, their product being based on the same technology as BT Broadband

So if you were able to sign up with them.

It automatically adjusts to the fastest service the line can provide.

Its also cheaper than Orange.

[/quote]and also only applicable if full degroupee is it not ?

[quote user="Chancer"]Well I guess what you get up to on your offshore platform is your own business [:D][6][/quote]

Glad you got a chuckle out of that [:D]

Unfortunately I'm really still non the wiser as to what 'emmerder' actually

means, what is the nearest equivalent English phrase which one might use ?

Regarding your own new found quest there is an ongoing thread HERE which will either interest you or put you to sleep [geek]

[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/634213087.png[/IMG][/URL]

It seems faster today whereas I will not be up to speed until early evening!

Yes ANO the thread was not my cuppa tea but it appears that others are worse off than myself.

Is the above a reasonable result and would a newer computer make any difference, mine is a P166 with notalotta memory.

I can find my degrouptest results if it helps.

Reasonable is relative but 4mb is not bad, some would sacrifice their 1st born for it. It really shouldn't vary massively throughout the day.

No, a new PC will make no difference whatsoever to your internet speed although a real dog of a PC could give the impression of a slow internet experience. You PC specs are low but not necessarily into canine territory. Would need to know more to decide if it really is a potential bottleneck.

and also only applicable if full degroupee is it not ?

No Free offer a service in both degroupee and non-degroupee areas. We are non-degroupee and could have line, ADSL and VOIP calls for 30 Euros a month, or pay the same and keep our FT line rental. I just don't know whether your pessimistic results would cause Free to say your were ineligible for any service from them.

Have you tried www.free.fr to see what, if anything, they would offer?

I'm sure Free do offer their services in other areas but to benefit form what I believe is an adaptive service, unique to them, how can it not be via degroupee ?

If Free can tell FT to open up any DSLAM in any exchange, degroupee or not, to adjust itself to the maximum a particular line can accommodate why couldn't or wouldn't FT and others do the same, it would surely be very much in their interest would it not ?

From Free.fr:

Economisez l'abonnement France Télécom

• En zone non dégroupée, débit jusqu'à 22 Mbit/s (ATM) en réception et 1 Mbit/s en émission
  • Service Téléphonie
  • Portabilité du numéro géographique incluse pour continuer à recevoir sur votre ligne Freebox les appels vers votre

ancien numéro
Are you saying that the Freebox itself somehow overrides the limitation that FT impose on a purely numerical basis ?

[quote user="AnOther"]I'm sure Free do offer their services in other areas but to benefit form what I believe is an adaptive service, unique to them, how can it not be via degroupee ?

If Free can tell FT to open up any DSLAM in any exchange, degroupee or not, to adjust itself to the maximum a particular line can accommodate why couldn't or wouldn't FT and others do the same, it would surely be very much in their interest would it not ?

From Free.fr:

Economisez l'abonnement France Télécom

• En zone non dégroupée, débit jusqu'à 22 Mbit/s (ATM) en réception et 1 Mbit/s en émission

• Service Téléphonie

• Portabilité du numéro géographique incluse pour continuer à recevoir sur votre ligne Freebox les appels vers votre ancien numéro

Are you saying that the Freebox itself somehow overrides the limitation that FT impose on a purely numerical basis ?

[/quote]

if that is what you were offered on the free website, it means they are only offering you ADSL nu and not at 22 MB either but just anything up to...
When I put my number in, I am offered (like BJSLIV) ADSL nu (Freebox only) or keeping my FT line (Freebox non dégroupé) for the same cost. As well as the up to 22 MB general stuff, I am also told

Inscription de la ligne téléphonique xxxxxxxxxx

Vous bénéficiez d'une des offres proposées ci dessous

Freebox (adsl non dégroupé) 2432 kbps

So it would appear for some reason that Free don't seem able to offer you 2MB you had before.

I don't really understand the technology and how they offer the highest speeds possible on the line but it does seem to be true from what I have read.
maybe BJSLIV could explain or knows of a link that may do so.

Danny

What I was getting at is that FT and SFR offer service options which are deliberately restricted to , for example, 512k, 1m, or 2m, whereas the the Free service automatically offers the best the line can handle. As Pacha has said in non degroupee areas whoever you go with will be using the FT ADSL equipment rented wholesale.

When you signed up with FT I assume that you were told that there faster services were not available on your line, hence you were put on one of the fixed rate products. Does the Free website make the same assumption and hence say that no service is available on your line?

[quote user="pachapapa"]

Nothing technical.

Just marketing.

In a non degrouped area, using a Orange/FT DSLAM, you will get no more than FT would give you, regardless of ISP.

The playing field is "flat"; not sloping away from FT!

[/quote]

So does anything different happen in the case of full degroupage, when Free install their own equipment in the DSLAM?

Does Free's equipment or methods differ from the others in this case? and does this allow for higher speeds and if so how?

Danny - awaiting education from those more technically knowledgeable

[quote user="pachapapa"]In a non degrouped area, using a Orange/FT

DSLAM, you will get no more than FT would give you, regardless of ISP.

The playing field is "flat"; not sloping away from FT![/quote]That

is the conclusion I was getting at although I'm not quite sure it is

exactly 'flat' though because whilst all other ISP's currently only

offer me 512kbs, FT instantly said I could have 1mb, strange that ?

[quote user="Jane and Danny"]So does anything different happen in the case of full degroupage, when Free install their own equipment in the DSLAM?

Does Free's equipment or methods differ from the others in this case? and does this allow for higher speeds and if so how?

Danny - awaiting education from those more technically knowledgeable[/quote]I don't know exactly which scheme they work here but relating it to adaptive ADSL in UK, there the line is continuously analysed in real time during the first 10 days and then a speed noted which is about 25% below the maximum which becomes the point at which BT will entertain a fault report. Obviously with such a system the published line characteristics are irrelevent as it works up to what the line will reliably support and can only work if the ISP has full control of the line.

I've read that Free use extended reach or READSL, or something similar, by default, which can give better performance on a given line than standard ADSL, but don't quote me.