Satellite and digibox setting up advice

I own a house in dept 64 . The house has an existing satellite dish approx 30cm diam which points south eastwards.

At present i use a normal aerial to get French terestial channels 1 -4 .

I would like to receive main UK terestial channels possibly with CNN or Sky News also.

Can i buy any digibox in the uk that willconnect into my modern tv and French satellite to give me these channels .

Will i have to move the direction of the satellite dish to receive these channels ?

Many thanks for any advice by 6 Feb .

Colin

Although I have only installed one system in France, with the support of other forum experts, I would expect that your best action is to wait till you get back to France and buy a cheap satellite system from Bricomarche. This will give you a 60cm or 80cm dish with a single or double LNB and a digibox. You could try to use the existing dish but at 30cm it is likely to give poor reception from the Astra satellite cluster. Also there may be a mismatch between the new box and the old dish/LNB.

You will definitely need to re-direct the dish and to do this it is best to know beforehand the exact angular position relative to your house. There are online calculators to first find your geographic position (longitude and latitude) followed by the angular direction of the satellite. If you are involved in adjusting the dish it would probably just as well to change it for the new one which will be certainly compatible with the digibox. The old dish and new digibox may not work well together.

It is worth the effort and you will be rewarded by most UK channels coming through. I am constantly chasing Ch4 and Film4 but the other main channels are stable.

Good luck, Alistair

[quote user="mary s"]I own a house in dept 64 . The house has an existing satellite dish approx 30cm diam which points south eastwards. At present i use a normal aerial to get French terestial channels 1 -4 . I would like to receive main UK terestial channels possibly with CNN or Sky News also. Can i buy any digibox in the uk that willconnect into my modern tv and French satellite to give me these channels . Will i have to move the direction of the satellite dish to receive these channels ? Many thanks for any advice by 6 Feb . Colin[/quote]

Colin have a look at this site, it's got lots of info. Just buy free view box in the UK. or you can buy a Sky + box on line or Ebay. I bought a dish and a quad LNB with all the brackets and cable on Ebay for about £25. Don't bother to buy a satellite meter, it's not worth the money. Setting up the dish is very simple, the main thing is to move it in very small increments at a time as digital signal takes a time to settle.  

http://www.bigdishsat.com/index.php 

http://www.satbuyer.co.uk/pace-tds470nb-sky+-sky-plus-digibox-p4.html

Edit : As pointed out I meant to say FREESAT not free view, sorry [:$]

[quote user="NickP"]

[quote user="mary s"]I own a house in dept 64 . The house has an existing satellite dish approx 30cm diam which points south eastwards. At present i use a normal aerial to get French terestial channels 1 -4 . I would like to receive main UK terestial channels possibly with CNN or Sky News also. Can i buy any digibox in the uk that willconnect into my modern tv and French satellite to give me these channels . Will i have to move the direction of the satellite dish to receive these channels ? Many thanks for any advice by 6 Feb . Colin[/quote]

Colin have a look at this site, it's got lots of info. Just buy free view box in the UK. or you can buy a Sky + box on line or Ebay. I bought a dish and a quad LNB with all the brackets and cable on Ebay for about £25. Don't bother to buy a satellite meter, it's not worth the money. Setting up the dish is very simple, the main thing is to move it in very small increments at a time as digital signal takes a time to settle.  

http://www.bigdishsat.com/index.php 

http://www.satbuyer.co.uk/pace-tds470nb-sky+-sky-plus-digibox-p4.html

[/quote]

just to correct one thing in your post Nick which may mislead the OP.

The "free view box" you mentioned is for UK TV through a rooftop aerial. The satellite service I presume you were referring to is called 'freesat'

Danny