temporary internet acces while traveling in france!

Hello,

We will be in France for the next 2 months staying in a gite without internet.

What are our options to have internet on our laptops? Any good cards available that will not charge you per hour but rather per month?

We would need at least 2GB per month.

another option is if we have a phone line available to get a livebox or something and then take it with us when we leave and move into our own house.

What is the best option?

thanks,

Inge

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]

I've just this second replied to another similar thread!

Have a look here

http://www.laboutique.bouyguestelecom.fr/forfaits-mobiles-offres-internet/forfaits-internet-mobile-3g-147_g.html

All sorts of options without getting into long contracts etc

It works well for me too

[/quote]

Thank you for the link, it seems you have to take at least a one year contract though :(  I would prefer something by the month as we will only need it for about 2 months

No need for a 12 month contract, as it says on the link I gave,

Pour les utilisateurs occasionnels Internet 1 jour 3G+

Can I just butt in on this one please. So for me who probably spends about 50 days in France on and off, I could install my old computer, get a dongle and get internet access for about €100 a year (and any family visitors could pay me for their usage).

Sounds ideal but a few questions please.

Is 10mb enough for some general website surfing?

How do I check if I can get a signal in my rural area?

Seems too good to be true - is there a catch?

Yes you are right, it would be very easy to go over the measely 10Mb limit but if you're only checking a few emails it may be for you.  And if friends/family are happy to pay a bit more for the odd bit of surfing then it may still be for you.

To check coverage, you can consult the entirely optimistic lnk on Bouyges site or better still, if you have a mobile with eg Bouyges and get a good signal then the 3G key will work as well because its the same network.  Obviously if say SFR works better in your area then go for that.

Last October we spent 2 weeks in a house in the country about 20 miles from Royan. I bought an Orange Clé 3G+ to test the use of the Internet. Notes:

1) They would only sell it to someone with a french address and phone number - so I had to give my friends details.

2) The published price was €49 but they charged €79 and would reimburse €30 to a (my friends) french bank account.

The connection at the house was consistent but very slow (remember the days of 2400 baud speeds ?). Since the device came with 8 hours usage, this was disappearing fast. Also many websites wouldn't wait long enough for my replies. However, trying it in any supermarket carpark or largish town centre got immediate 3mB connection speed which was very acceptable. There was also another 3 hours free connection time which you had to apply for and came with a different sign on/password.

There's a reasonable deal struggling to get out here somewhere !

When in need of internet access in France I found the best value was our Mairie who didn't charge.  I also sought out the cafe's with WiFi, some gave it free with a meal, some charged a euro or two, (and one advised that once in, I could visit outside out of hours and still log in[:)]). In one local town I found an internet cafe which was just a few euros and they gave a list of hot spots with free internet access after a couple of visits.

Obviously if say SFR works better in your area then go for that.

One to watch .... I bought a SFR one ..they could not get it up and running ...even in the shop... Refunded the cost of the dongle but ... Once the SIM card has been activated SFR WILL NOT  under any circumstances refund you its cost ....I walked out of the shop with a 26 euro for 8 hours  SIM 250 card charge loss and with a sim card I can never use .

http://free-hotspot.groopli.com/index.php?option=com_google_maps&view=world&Itemid=16793    Go to the map for France click on the town you want  read off the free hot spots in the town at the side   ..bars.. hotels etc

I've just telephoned Orange in france. They offer a month by month broadband contract for about 26 euros a month. You phone a few days before arriving to have it switched on and write to them to have it switched off again. Phone calls and letters can be in english. I'm contemplating this although as I sometimes just go for a long week-end it might not be my best option.Might be good for you tho'.

Hi - presumably to get this month/month broadband access I would need an FT fixed telephone line already installed? I'm only in my french house for approx 6 weeks per year, so I'm looking for a high quality connection for short periods only.

Also - do I need a router of some kind? Can the english speaking helpline support set up?

[quote user="thistle"]I've just telephoned Orange in france. They offer a month by month broadband contract for about 26 euros a month. You phone a few days before arriving to have it switched on and write to them to have it switched off again. Phone calls and letters can be in english. I'm contemplating this although as I sometimes just go for a long week-end it might not be my best option.Might be good for you tho'.[/quote]

I have had experience of  Orange ...the English help desk .. the  " Holiday Home "  use. The  FT line  installed  and Broadband  Livebox contract .... . The broadband contract automatically  reinstated after I had the FT line disconnected  and contracts terminated after 12 months and informing the Orange  Broadband  people by letter .. Finding out that they took no notice of  recorded delivery letters informing them  I did not want the contract.. .The livebox returned to the Orange shop and staff  telling me I am not on contract.. The debt collection agents writing to say I owe them 135 euros  for the time they "mistakenly " put me back on contract .  Orange saying they can do nothing as I have to deal with the debt collection people ....The risk of a hernia lifting the file which continues to grow after two years ! ..  I have come to the conclusion  me France and Broadband are not destined to get together ...so.. I will stick to visiting the Hotel bar and the free Wi-Fi they provide while sitting on the terrace watching for the debt collection heavies to ride into town .