PC Tip of the day

[quote user="suein56"]I will approach this area with great caution; I have great fear of being asked a question when I don't know the answer ie do you really want to remove/alter /do this?[/quote]Rightly so but in Autoruns all you are doing is ticking or unticking a box to tell something to run at logon or not, you are not actually removing anything and will not be asked any questions and you can always go back and undo what you did. Your machine will not speed up by itself so if you want to improve it's boot time unfortunately you will have to get 'hands on'.

Go slowly one item at a time and see what makes a difference. If you see something you don't understand feel free to ask.

As I say though if you create a Restore Point you are completely bombproof.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 7 months later...
Haven't contributed to this thread for a while but just come across found a little applet which I think is extremely useful, and fun too.

It's called gMote and those who have already discovered browser mouse gestures will instantly recognise the possibilities. For those who have no idea what a mouse gesture is, check it out an give it 'em a whirl, in a few days you'll wonder how you managed without them and just like your mouse wheel liberated you from the scroll bar you'll never find yourself scrabbling for that puny little 'back' button again.

Have fun [;-)]

Has anyone mentioned that on your laptop mouse pad, you can use the same finger and thumb motion you use on and i-phone to enlarge or reduce font size while using a browser. Index finger and thumb pinched together, placed on the mouse pad and then opened while still touching the pad will make text larger and vice versa. This works on MACs and my Dell laptop.

• 1 month later...
Windows 7 screen trick;

Apologies to those who might already know about this but I stumbled on a useful trick this morning and though I'd share.

Sometimes it's useful to have 2 windows open side by side, say if copying text or data from one document to another etc.

The traditional way of doing this would be to drag and size the 2 windows individually but the problem with that is unless you normally use them maximised when you've finished you have to resize them back to what they were so here's another way.

With the 2 windows open but not maximised click on the title bar of one and drag it off the screen left or right, at some point it will expand to occupy exactly 1/2 the screen and if you do the same with the other window, but to the other side, it too expands to fill the other 1/2, voila.

When finished just double click on the title bars and they both go back to as they were.

This layout can be particularly useful when moving files about between folders or even drives however Windows 7 does not allow you to have 2 Windows Explorers open simultaneously, or at least not by the common clicking on My Computer method. There is another way though which is to press and hold the Window key (the one with the Windows logo) and then press E, by this method you can have as many Explorer windows open at a time as you like.

Finally, for those who still slavishly go for the minimise and maximise buttons in the top right corner of a window, forget it, to toggle between between full screen and a sized window just double click on the title bar  :wink:

That tip also works for Chrome too Ernie. Plus, if you want to open a second Chrome window just open another tab in Chrome, put the cursor on the lable tag at the top of the screen for that tab and drag it off of the side of the screen and a new Chrome window appears as a 'restored down' window (not full size. Just double click on the 'Title bar' to put it to full size. To put the window back to the original window, just drag the title tag off the edge of the screen and it pops back to where you started!!