Hi all - I have a weird situation which I am sure you clever folks will be able to guide me on.

I have a quad LNB with 2 feeds off it to 2 FreeSat boxes. 1 feed is a an HD FreeSat box the 2nd is non HD. The HD set cannot connect to BBC Northern Ireland, BBC3, 105 and several others (with a wee window that pops up saying insufficient signal strength) while the non HD box connects to these programmes with no problem. My friend who installed them could not get the signal (using a really fancy looking gizzmo) to LOCK and explained that it was the fault of the LNB and continued this argument for the reason why one box will receive and the other will not. How can this be if one box is getting them and the other isnt.

I have assumed that it is the fault of the box BUT is there any other possible reason before I ship the things back to Northern Ireland to have it replaced.

Cheers everyone. Paul

[quote user="UlsterRugby1999"]

Thanks for that - the dish size is small. Its an old 60cm Sky dish we brought from Belfast. The HD box is Sagem and the non HD box is Grundig. Would changing to a bigger dish help?

[/quote]

I would change to an 80cm dish which will improve the signal, I've used a portable 80cm dish in most of southern Spain, Italy and France and always get a perfect signal.

[quote user="Anton Redman II"]

You could try swopping boxes between rooms. If the box works in the other location have a look at cable lengths and consider using an amplifier. Also try swopping cables at the dish end to see if that moves the problem.

However if you are South of the Loire I suspect moving to 80 cms is the best bet. [/quote]

Hi Anton - This weekend we actually took the 2 FreeSat boxes and switched rooms with them. The problem remains the same as in the HD box still doesnt get the channels but the non HD box continues to get all of them even in its new location. I'll try the cable switching at the dish and let you know.

"elamessa" - thanks for that too - I can do this okay during the week I guess. Hopefully I dont loose the direction of the dish though [:$]