I'm under attack from AVAST!

First don't delete it by deleting the icon and the folder it is in.

Second don't use the Control Panel - Program and Features - AVG - Remove.

If you have done either of these then you need first to re-install it. Once you have done this and it has updated it's self do the following.

Click on the Windows button (bottom left of your computer screen also sometimes referred to as the Windows Start button).

Next select All Programs.

Now look for the folder that says AVG and click on it.

You will then see a program icon called Uninstall AVG, just click on that and follow the instructions.

Tip, A lot of software now comes with it's own uninstall program so before you 'remove' anything from your PC do the above (but for the program you want to remove) and check. One of the reasons for this is that Vista and Windows 7 have something called UAC (User Access Control) that may have to be deactivated to enable certain parts of the software to be deleted. The unistall program runs scripts that does this as it removes the program then reactivates the UAC when it's finished. If it does not have an Unistall icon then you need to remove it via Control Panel - Program and Features - (program name) - Remove.

Some AV software like Norton (just an example) require a special cleanup file that is found on their website (well hidden I should add) to be downloaded and run after you have removed it by one of the methodes I have already described. If you don't you get all sorts of problems.

Just a thought, have you considered one of the Linux distributions to replace your windows system, or to run alongside ? No need for any anti-virus programs but they are available if you have other windows computers in your home network. If you dont do a lot of game playing then it could be a good option.

You can download and burn a linux distribution to a CD or usb stick and try it as a "live" system to see if you like it.

Here is a link to one distribution that is very similar to windows so you may feel more comfortable - www.linuxmint.com

I am also near the Dordogne/Charente border so could help if you need it.

easiest way is open PC registry and delete all avast keys...

start, run, regedit. expand the folders look for software directories and delete all instances of avast.

this the heart of your pc, DO NOT DELETE ANYTHING ELSE !

[quote user="tj"]easiest way is open PC registry and delete all avast keys...

start, run, regedit. expand the folders look for software directories and delete all instances of avast.

this the heart of your pc, DO NOT DELETE ANYTHING ELSE ![/quote]

Could be dangerous if the OP doesn't know how to fix a broken registry !

Interested to know how you get on. Following a request to update my AVG Free edition, despite several attempts I was unable to complete.Uninstalled using their on line programme, and installed MSE. tells me my PC is virus free etc and seems to work well.However I have to reboot by disconnecting the cable after virtually every use. I also have Zone Alarm pro installed.

I was happy with AVG for a while, no real problems, nor really with Avast which I installed on recommendation to make sure AVG wasn't missing a trick, but then Avast started sending messages saying that I was no longer covered and needed to update every time I opened IE; so I removed the programme, but the messages continued until after trying the advice, this seems to have stopped and I installed MSE as another check which says that everything is fine. I haven't tried to update AVG since I think they now expect an update with a cost, hence installing MSE. I might have a play with Comodo when I've nothing better to do.