Changing Free Contract advice needed

I've had a contract with Free for nearly 4 years, and it has generally worked pretty well. I now want to become totally degroupee, and save myself 16 euro/month France Telecom. My understanding is that I Can probably do this at zero cost due to length of time I've had the contract.

I would also like to upgrade to the latest free box. I have the original black v4, which is pretty dated these days, and lacks many features. From reading the Free T&C's, it would appear I can only make 1 change to my Contract at no cost, as my subscription date would reset

(effectively making me a new customer). Has anyone got any idea how I can make these 2 changes without having to fork out 96Euros. For instance is it possible to Cancel my contract outright and take out a new one? Many thanks.

Yes, there is nothing to stop you cancelling, returning the box etc and taking out a new contract.

But you will be possibly without internet for a few weeks at least.

Are you sure you are elegible for the new freebox revolution (if that is want you mean)

For this, you have to be a 'zone degroupée' by Free.

If you are in a 'zone non degroupée' by Free you can only have the freebox Version 5.

Also be aware that all of their charges have recently changed

http://adsl.free.fr/cgv/last/fis.html

here is a summary:

http://pascal.oudot1.free.fr/annexe/f/free_tarifs2011.jpg

Have you checked on your espace client what you can do?

Do you know if your line is degroupée or not?

Danny

Definitely in zone Degroupee, I can receive TV through the box, but don't bother, as TV is not near near phone line. Checked my account yesterday, and it seems free are now offering a V5 box exchange ( sans frais). So I assume If If I go totally degrouped first and then change the box, there shouldn't be a cost. I think the V5 box allows you wireless TV function, which is all I want, so not too worried about Revolution Box. Thanks for tariffs info. It appears I will have to pay 1.99 more for TV.

The box change may be free but I am pretty sure that it will put you back to having a 96 euros 'frais d'activation' to pay again.

http://www.degroupnews.com/actualite/n5773-free-se-separe-de-ses-freebox-v4.html

"Petite mise en garde, même si cette migration est gratuite, elle entraine une remise à zéro de l'ancienneté et par conséquent fait repasser vos frais de résiliation à 96 €"

Danny

Danny,

Your quote from Free states that after migration to a Freebox 5 HD, the 'frais de résiliation' go back to 96€, not 'frais d'activation'. So if you wish to cancel your abonnement, it'll cost you the full rate, not the reduced one that Richy has earned for 3 year's loyalty.

@+

Andrew 44

Andrew, the quote is not from Free but from Degroupnews.

Free are a bit cheeky as they do not have a frais de resiliation as such.

They only have a 'frais d'activation'  which can be paid when you start as a new customer or you can pay it at the end and it reduces the longer you are with them.

In fact, I see from their price list, they now call it a "Frais de Mise en Service"

So for Richy, he can cancel his abonnement whout any charge but if he just changes his box, he will have then have a new 'frais d'activation' of 96 euros on his account.

Every other ISP has a frais de resiliation but Free....

They would argue that it is really a frais d'activation as it costs them to open up the line for ADSL.

All the others defer this charge and charge the client if you want to cancel in an attempt to gain custom.

Danny